• Hypersensitivity to latex happens when a person comes in contact with products that have latex. Gloves, condoms, and other medical equipment made of latex are offending products to people with latex allergy. The most common symptoms of latex allergy are itchy skin rashes, cough, dyspnea, asthma, eye tearing and irritation. Hypersensitivity reactions to latex may be as mild as skin rashes and be as severe as anaphylaxis. During an anaphylactic reaction, a person may experience dyspnea, development of hives, edema, and gastrointestinal problems.• Removing products that has latex is considered as treatment of latex allergy. Epinephrine and antihistamines can cure allergy symptoms. There are 2 things that you must do when you are diagnosed with latex allergy. First, always wear a MedicAlert bracelet and bring an emergency epinephrine kit with you all the time.
• In the fungus family, there are thousands of types of molds and yeasts.• Yeasts are single-celled organisms that divide in order to form clusters. Molds are multi cellular and it grows on branching threads called hyphae. Only few specific mold types can cause mold allergy, although both can probably be the case of an allergic reaction. Spores are what the reproductive pieces or seeds of fungi are called. Among types of mold, spores differ in size, shape, and color• For every spore that will germinate, it can help in the growth of molds which in turn will be producing millions of spores. For some people, eating certain foods such as cheese processed with fungi can worsen symptoms of mold allergy. We should occasionally avoid eating mushrooms and dried fruits for they can contribute to producing allergy symptoms. Yeast containing foods such as soy sauce and vinegar should be added to that list.
• Allergic reactions may be caused by pets like cats and dogs. Researchers have found that proteins in the saliva are allergens. Proteins from saliva remain as an animal licks itself. Aside from the skin, the urine also carries the proteins that cause allergies. When the protein-carrying substance dries up, the proteins can soar in the air.• Allergens are more predominant in cats for more saliva is being used to lick their bodies. In addition to this, humans like to hold them more. Household pets and rodents like gerbils and guinea pigs are becoming popular pets. Rodents, in general, can cause allergic reactions to some people because of their urine. Therefore, these pests should be avoided.
• These round or oval pollen grains used by plants for reproduction purposes are so microscopically small and cannot be seen by the naked eye. For some plant species, fertilizing itself would mean to use its own flower pollen. Other types of plants should be pollinated with others of their own species.• Pollens must be transferred from the flower of one plant to another of the same species. Then, cross pollination, or fertilization and seed-forming, will take place. Flowering plants sometimes depends on the wind to carry their pollen and for some, they rely on insects. Plants with showy flowers do not cause allergic reactions but it is the plain looking plants (trees, grasses, and weeds) that do. In order to be suitable for air transport, the pollen grains produced by plants have to be light, small and dry.
• An individual with allergies may experience itchy eyes, runny nose, sneezing, coughing, and rashes. The symptoms depend on what the allergen is and how the allergic person came in contact with the said allergen.• I.E., inhalation of pollen causes difficulty in breathing, application of an allergen on the skin causes dermatitis, and ingestion of food with an allergen causes vomiting and nausea. If anyone in the family has allergies, other family members may develop allergies as well. Inherited allergy is more prone to develop in boys than girls and in babies who are born light weight. The intensity of the reaction varies from mild to severe.• There are cases that are life threatening. This is called anaphylaxis. Anaphylaxis needs immediate medical intervention. When anaphylaxis occur, epinephrine should be given as soon as possible.
If you want to know a little more about allergy symptoms, please check out the author’s website.