Why Are Changes Needed?
● Traditional approach slow and inflexible
● Testing at the end
● Change is discourage
1. Individuals and interactions over processes
2. Working software over comprehensive
3. Customer collaboration over contract
4. Responding to change over following a plan
● The key is to make the process lightweight
and adaptive to change.
● Agile asks us to have frequent check ins with
● Scrum was born out of work on eXtreme
● The term “scrum” is reference to a rugby
team that moves as a unit.
The Benefits of Agile
● Agile emphasizes short cycles or iterations
● Agile is also lightweight and adaptable when
compared to traditional waterfall software
1. The Agile process breaks down work into
something called a Sprint.
2. The Sprint length can be as short as two
weeks or as long as four weeks.
The Sprint Backlog
● The stories the team has agreed to work on
during the Sprint is called the Sprint backlog.
● These user stories are selected from the
Daily Scrum or Standup
One of the most helpful practices in Scrum is
the Daily Standup Meeting or Daily Scrum.
1. What did you do yesterday?
2. What will you do today?
3. Is there anything in your way?
1. The Product Owner brings the business
requirements to the team.
2. The Scrum Master is the team coach and
leads the team through the Sprint.
3. The Team estimates their stories and makes
their own designs and implements them.
User stories are short, simple descriptions of a
feature told from the perspective of the person
who desires the new functionality, usually a
user or customer of the system. —Mike Cohn,
Mountain Goat Software
Acceptance criteria defines the boundaries of a
user story and tell when a story is done.
1. Examine the successes and failures of the
2. Try to get the whole teams input
3. Last meeting of the Sprint
● Product backlog is a list of features and
changes to be done.
● The product backlog list must be ordered in
the priority they should be completed.
● The Agile team periodically will meet to
groom the backlog.
● Grooming involves reviewing user stories to
check for their completeness.
● Agile team meets to plan next Sprint
● Outcome should be a prioritized list or Sprint
Agile Basics in 60 Minutes
Available on Amazon in Kindle format