We have today more than 45 productions that are complete (mostly) or in process (small but growing)
Some are drama films. Some are drama series.
Some are parodies, animated, Vignettes.Some made one production and phased out. Some have more than 10 episodes.
As many things in our life, we are witnessing a renaissance of fan-made movies. An explosion of productions well funded and high-profiled.
I presnet you with the fullest yet introduction to the world of fan-productions: What there is to see. What there is worth seeing. What to watch for!
Hundreds of hours of non franchised productions are waiting for you.
All is left is that you enjoy!
What do we require from a star-trek production made by fans (and not by a “formal” franchised Star-Trek entity to put on the screen for us?
Canon or not-canon? This is the Question!
(Alek W. Shakespeare)
• The Star-Trek franchise created for us an alternate future from TOS through the
movies and ENT.
• This relates to everything from history, places, events, people, technology and
• What is part of the Rodenberryverse is CANON.
What will we do without
Watch them over and over until the
Romulans come or worse, the Borg??
What will we do without
Make them ourselves!
Canon or not-canon? This is the Question!
(Alek W. Shakespeare)
• There were some productions and books that created some different
stories that did not relate to the CANON and they were quickly
dismissed by the fans as impropriate.
• Alternate universes can be defined as CANON but only if already
depicted in the original series.
• The Abramsverse is a new continuity, but it is definitely meant to be
canon. Well, it’s not. It may be presented as an “alternative universe”
but it’s not.
• In WIKIA this is called “Star-Trek – Expanded Universe”
What I want to contribute to you today:
• The fullest yet introduction to the world of fan-productions.
• What there is to see.
• What there is worth seeing.
• What to watch for!
• Hundreds of hours of non franchised productions are waiting for
• All is left is that you enjoy!
• Disclaimer: I’m not a very strict ST fan myself so I maybe wrong
sometimes. Will be glad to be corrected!
So What is REAL Star-Trek for
What do we require from a star-trek
production made by fans (and not by a
“formal” franchised Star-Trek entity to put
on the screen for us?
Give me the short version!
What do we have? What’s there to watch?
• We have today more than 45 productions that are complete
(mostly) or in process (small but growing)
• Some are drama films.
• Some are drama series.
• Some are parodies, animated, Vignettes.
• Some made one production and phased out. Some have more than
• As many things in our life, we are witnessing a renaissance of
fan-made movies. An explosion of productions well funded and
We’re not discussing the following:
• PC Games
• Movies produced with PC games storyline (although some are well
• Star-Trek on-line (and everything abut it)
• Audio series
We will be discussing:
• Mainly - CANON-based productions made with CBS owned
• Cartoon based productions
Star-Trek movie made by Fans?
Star Trek: A New Beginning
Star-Trek movie made by Fans?
Star Trek: Axanar
Star Trek: New Voyages/Phase II
• Star Trek New Voyages is a Fan-Film project made by James Cawley
• Continue to tell the story of the final two years of Enterprise’s five year
mission under captain James T. kirk.
• has been going strong for 13 years now (2002-2015),
• 9 full episodes + 3 more in various stages of production
• Now they’re turning back to the fans to help them with a
fresh Kickstarter campaign.
Star Trek Continues
• Has taken fan films to a new level, with professional actors, as
well as top-notch sets, lighting, camera work and music.
• It really feels like the good old Star Trek and not at all like a re-
enactment by fans
• An online series which focuses on the
adventures of the starship Exeter (NCC-
1706) in the TOS era, with production
design matching the time.
• This series features extensive use of
interior starship sets and many human,
Klingon, and Andorian characters.
Star Trek: Hidden Frontier
• longest-running Star Trek fan film project, is
considered the "grandfather" of almost all
modern Star Trek fan films.
• 7 seasons with 45 episodes (~30 minutes each)
published between 2000 and 2006
• Produced on digital video, Hidden Frontier's
sets are almost 100% virtual
• the series focuses on the starship Excelsior and
its home base, Deep Space 12 , as they mediate
disputes between various races, and fend off
attacks from a powerful new alien race, the
• The series incorporated gay and lesbian
characters, and their struggles and
relationships in the24th century: a step Star
Star-Trek : Odyssey
• Set after the end of Hidden Frontier, Odyssey follows the
USS Odyssey as it struggles to get home from a dangerous
mission that has taken it and her crew 2.5 million light years from
home... to the unknowns of the Andromeda Galaxy
• The series has 10 episodes
Star Trek: Federation One
• serves as a continuation of the Star Trek: Hidden Frontier universe.
• Star Trek: Federation One Season 1 consists of two filmed episodes
focusing on the President of the United Federation of Planets and their
entourage aboard the Federation's diplomatic flagship, Federation
• Prelude episode (1 hour) and First episode (36 minutes) aired in 2009
and were quite good
• Second episode was out in 2013 and was Audio only
• Nothing in the near future.
• Original animated movie set in the Star Trek universe. This
movie focuses on the exploits of civilian merchanters,
rather than Starfleet officers.
• This movie combines all previously released parts into a
Star Trek: Horizon
• is a feature-length film set during the time of Enterprise (the fifth Star
• Horizon is a two-hour feature film that follows Captain Harrison
Hawke and the crew of the Earth vessel NX-04 Discovery. In 2160, the
Coalition of Planets, a young alliance of worlds led by Earth, is at war
with the Romulan Empire.
• Desperate for a chance to gain the upper hand in the war, the
Coalition forms an alliance with T'mar, a Romulan defector, in the
hope that she can provide valuable intelligence on her former
• Now in Post-Production. No release date
• Teaser Trailer
The Multiverse Crisis By George Kayaian
• Owner of UpAllNight productions
• Producer of 4 series:
• THE INFINITE CHAIN – 2010-2012 – Part 9
• Incident at Beta 9 – 2009
• The Final Darkness – 2012-2013
• Star Trek: ANTYLLUS– 2013-2014 – Episode 4
Star Trek: Phoenix
??? • Cloak & Dagger - Part I was made in 2011 – was quite good!
• Tried to raise funds for more episodes but failed.
• The main cost is the sets
Star Trek: Of Gods and Men
• Forty years after their first mission,
Chekov and Uhura, along with John
Harriman, former Captain of the
Enterprise-B, come together for the
dedication of a very special ship.
• However, their reunion is cut short when
they receive a distress call from an all-
too-familiar planet, where they meet up
with an almost-forgotten face, and in an
instant something happens, or rather,
doesn't happen, that presses the three
friends to embark on a mission that will
forever change their lives...
• Nice casting. Bed movie.
Star-Trek: Dark Armada
• It was started in March, 2005 by an energetic group of young film-
makers gathered from Star Trek fan clubs in the Netherlands and
• Dark Armada takes place ten years after the events in Star Trek:
Nemesis on board the USS Batavia, named after the famous 17th-
century Dutch ship
• Capt Richardson and his crew make a shocking discovery which will
determine the fate of life on Earth and throughout the Federation.
• Filming began in Jan 2006, a test/pilot episode was released that
September, and 7 very short episode were released between 2009
until 2014. It's Dark... Get Over It Vs. Almost time
• 8th is in post-production
Star Trek: Encarta
• Began in early 2000 with Star Trek: Encarta The Motion Picture,
and spawned three sequel film productions
• based upon Star Trek: The Next Generation era, circa Star Trek:
Insurrection/Star Trek: Voyager
• The film saga to date has won 12 local film festivals and has been
revamped to target larger markets.
• Here’s a sneak peak
• we feel the true home of Star Trek is as a continuing episodic series. The goal of this
project is to make that happen.
We, the team who brought you Star Trek: Of Gods and Men, are proud to announce Star
Trek: Renegades, a professionally produced television pilot to be presented for a
possible online series.
Renegades, as the name suggests, will be bold, edgy and a little dark.
• Renegades will feature a combination of familiar Star Trek faces, plus a collection of hot,
new rising actors.
Renegades will be a departure from previous Treks -- delving into the dark side of the
human psyche, pushing our heroes to their limits, forcing them to carry out actions that
they never would have as Starfleet officers. The rules have changed, and they realize
they might be the last hope to save the Federation.
Star Trek: Renegades will be action oriented, filled with suspense and espionage; all
while exploring new worlds, encountering both familiar and new alien species, and
boldly going where no Trek has gone before.
Renegades Official Teaser Trailer
• It is ten years after Voyager’s return from the Delta Quadrant, and the Federation
is in a crisis.
• The Federation’s main suppliers of dilithium crystals are disappearing. Space and
time have folded around several planets, effectively isolating them from any
contact with outside worlds.
• And this phenomenon is not natural – someone or something is causing this to
• This necessitates drastic measures; some of which are outside the Federation’s
• For this, Admiral Pavel Chekov, head of Starfleet Intelligence, turns to Commander
Tuvok, Voyager’s former security officer and current head of the newly reorganized
• Tuvok must put together a new covert, renegade crew – mostly outcasts and
rogues – even criminals.
• This new crew is tasked with finding out what is causing the folding of time and
space, and stopping it – at all costs. But will they be able to put aside their
differences and stop trying to kill one another in time to accomplish their mission?
• Axanar takes place 21 years before the events of “Where no Man
Has Gone Before”, the first Kirk episode of the original Star Trek.
• Axanar is the story of Garth of Izar, the legendary Starfleet
captain who is Captain Kirk’s hero. Kirk himself called Garth the
model for all future Starfleet Officers.
• Garth charted more planets than any other Captain and was the
hero of the Battle of Axanar, the story of which is required
reading at the academy.
• This is that story.
• A concept for a new Star Trek TV series, modernized for the 21st
century with a new format, new technology, a new crew and a
• Producer’s goal is to get the pitch in front of
Paramount/CBS/Bad Robot and, hopefully, have it go into
production in time to air on the 50th anniversary of Star Trek in
• Interesting, diverse characters who interact and grow.
• A progressive, optimistic view of the future.
• The thrill of discovery, the adventure of the unknown.
• Space exploration.
• High concept sci-fi, but with a respect for and grounding in real
• Cutting-edge technology
Mission and Setting• Mission:
• •To explore the Andromeda Galaxy.
• •Seek out new life and new civilizations.
• •Establish first contact.
• •Form alliances and diplomatic relations.
• •Joint mission between Starfleet and civilian scientists
• The future, after Kirk & original Enterprise
• • New technology developed – a Spacefold Gateconstructed to warp jump to Andromeda.
• •Enterprise is the first ship assigned to the new galaxy.
• •Other ships will follow after first season.
• •Starbase being built, will be complete at end of firstseason and two more ships will arrive.
• • Enterprise will occasionally return to Milky Way for staffing changes, refits, extended leave.
Red Shirt Diaries
• The private diary of a security officer named
ensign Willams at the time of TOS.
• 3 minutes programs named after each TOS
program and follows exactly the same story-
• There’s one season with 10 episodes.
• Here’s a sneak-peak
• Now filming the second season with 20
episodes after a successful Indiegogo
The future of Fan Productions ?
• The Star-Trek fandom seems stronger than ever. Demand for new content
• New CBS franchise spun-off from a fan production series ? Un-Likely…
• New CBS/Paramount production which is “Abramsverse” like. More likely
• New Fan Productions will be regularly funded by crowdfunding sites or
Patreon like platforms
• New and better stories. Better script writers Better actors, producers and
directors. Better editors.
• New CGI engines will be made available. New Studio sets will be made
• The Star-Trek Legacy will go on forever! ?