Whereas in the spring of 2010 only about a quarter of the top-100 TV advertisers were identified as having an official (German-language) Facebook presence, just one year later it was evident that the world's largest social network had attracted a far greater proportion of those companies. Working with the same selection method, in April 2011 we identified that half (75) of the companies and brands serving as our basis had official fan pages, of which almost half (30) were less than a year old. This was based on the top 150 TV advertising spenders in the first quarter of the year.
Key issues for the second Trend Report:
- Review and improvement of the benchmarks identified in 2010:
- Re-evaluation of the different strategic patterns in the use of Facebook as a communication channel.
- Review of the following hypotheses:
1. Fan pages for brands and companies show declining interaction rates in 2011.
2. The typology of communication strategies displays a shift towards dialogue-oriented forms.
3. The differences in the interaction rates are industry- and size-specific.
4. Brands communicate their Facebook presence more frequently in other communications channels such as TV commercials and corporate web sites than was the case a year ago.