ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE | MACHINE LEARNING| DEEP LEARNING NEURAL NETWORKS |
MATHEMATICAL MODELING | PROGRAMMING SKILLS | COMMUNICATIVE SKILLS
• Recognized expertise in Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Algorithms Design and Analysis, and Mathematical
• Experienced in deep learning networks, Stacked Auto-encoders, Convolutional Neural Networks and hierarchical visual
cortex models for image classification and object recognition.
• Expert in state based reinforcement learning concepts, mechanisms, and techniques, and on-line learning neural network
based neuromodulatory system design for reinforcement learning.
• Skilled in Android application programming, mobile application user interface design, mobile device based image
classification systems design, and mobile device based machine learning algorithm implementation.
• Proficient with mainstream modern deep learning packages (e.g. Tensorflow, Caffe and cuda-convnet), programming tools
(e.g. CUDA, OpenCV, OpenGL and OpenCL) and Unity simulation.
• Ph.D. in Computer Science (GPA: 3.84)• Michigan State University, USA • 2012-present
§ Advisor: Juyang (John) Weng
§ Specialization: Cognitive Science
§ Research Interests: Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, and Neural Networks
§ Expected graduation date: April, 2017
• Bachelor of Science in Mathematics and Applied Mathematics • Fudan University, China • 2008-2012
§ Advisor: Jin Cheng
§ Dissertation: Convergence Properties of the Algebraic Reconstruction Technique and its Application
• Zheng, Z. and Weng, J. “Mobile Device Based Outdoor Navigation With On-line Learning Neural Network: a Comparison
with Convolutional Neural Network”. IEEE Conf on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition Workshop (CVPRW). June 2016.
• Zheng, Z. and Weng, J. “Challenges in Visual Parking and How a Developmental Network Approaches the Problem”.
International Joint Conference on Neural Networks (IJCNN), July 2016.
• Zheng, Z., He, X, and Weng, J. “Approaching Camera-based Real-World Navigation Using Object Recognition”. INNS
BigData International Conference, Aug 2015.
• Zheng, Z., Li, Z., Nagar, A. and Park, K. “Compact Deep Neural Networks for Device Based Image Classification”. IEEE Int’l
Conf on Multimedia & Expo Workshop (ICMEW), July 2015.
• Zheng, Z., Li, Z., Nagar, A. “Compact Deep Neural Networks for Device Based Image Classification”. Mobile Cloud Visual
Media Computing: From Interaction to Service: 201-217, Springer, July 2015.
• Zheng, Z., and Weng, J. “Approaching Real-World Navigation Using Object Recognition Network”. International Joint
Conference on Neural Networks (IJCNN), June 2015.
• Zheng, Z., Weng, J., & Zhang, Z. WWN: Integration with coarse-to-fine, supervised and reinforcement learning. In Neural
Networks (IJCNN), 2014 International Joint Conference on (pp. 1517-1524). IEEE. July 2014.
• Zheng, Z., Qian, K., Weng, J., & Zhang, Z. Modeling the effects of neuromodulation on internal brain areas: Serotonin and
dopamine. In Neural Networks (IJCNN), The 2013 International Joint Conference on (pp. 1-8). IEEE. August 2013.
• Zheng, Z. & Weng, J. “Comparison between WWN and Some Prior Networks” International Conference on Brian Mind (ICBM)
• Zheng, Z., Kui, Q., Weng, J. & Zhang, Z. “Reinforcement in Internal Areas, Coarse-to-Fine Motors, and Integration with
Supervised Learning” Transaction on Autonomous Mental Development (Working paper).
Z E J I A Z H E N G
1870 E Shore Dr., Apt C2
East Lansing, MI 48823
• ZOOX (Stealth mode robotics startup) • Summer Intern • Supervisor: Paulius Micikevicius • 2016.5-2016.9
§ Worked with Zoox Computer Vision Group, lead by James Philbin.
§ Designed and programmed Zoox Deep Learning Inference Engine for autonomous driving systems.
§ Studied GPU memory allocation and deallocation mechanisms for pre-trained deep learning neural networks;
Inference Engine is currently being used as a standard for real-time neural network deployment on Zoox vehicles; it
saves more than 40% GPU memory required to run inference with modern deep neural network architectures (e.g.
VGG variants, Inception net, etc.) compared to Caffe’s approach.
• Samsung Research America • Summer Intern • Advisor: Dr. Zhu Li • 2014.5-2014.8
§ Worked with Compact Descriptor for Visual Search Group.
§ Constructed compact deep convolutional neural network for mobile device based image recognition.
§ Minimized memory footprint of device based image classifier by 32% compared to typical convolutional neural
network; developed efficient contribution evaluation method for classifier kernels; network recognizes single image
within 0.1 sec on mobile devices.
• Embodied Intelligence Laboratory • Michigan State University • Advisor: Dr. Juyang (John) Weng • 2012-present
§ Designed online learning mobile agent that learns to navigate in real-world environment with real-time attention
§ Programmed Android application for outdoor navigation. The system navigates successfully around campus using
built-in camera and GPS, with the ability of direction correction and obstacles avoidance. System learns to recognize
objects and transfer learned concepts to unfamiliar environments.
§ Constructed reinforcement learning modules under the framework of Developmental Network; simulated the effect
of neurotransmitters in inner brain areas; network learns to navigate in simple maze without human supervision.
§ Utilized an instructional scaffolding learning scheme to train multi-concept learning agents from single concept
learning agent; reduced manual labeling in supervision by over 80%; Agent learns to refine concept of location
according to its interaction with external environment.
§ Research supported by Microsoft Research, Redmond
• Information Science Laboratory • Fudan University • Advisor: Dr. Peizhong Lu • 2011-2012
§ Developed novel clock synchronization algorithm for wireless sensor networks.
§ Applied parameter estimation techniques to large time stamp data collected from wireless sensor network.
§ Constructed simulation platform for pairwise synchronization and network wide synchronization.
• Research Center of Nonlinear Sciences • Fudan University • Advisor: Dr. Wei Lin • 2010-2011
§ Evaluated patient diagnosis report using statistical correlation and time series analysis models.
§ Analyzed Hemodialysis results with belief propagation network.
§ Collected data to improve evaluation results at Huashan Hospital, Shanghai.
PROFESSIONAL HONORS AND AWARDS
• Second Prize at China Undergraduate Mathematical Contest in Modeling • Paper: Pollution Analysis and Prediction Based
on Neural Networks • Sep 2012
• Outstanding Undergrad Scholarship of Fudan University • 2011-2012
• Second Prize at Huadong Cup, the 12th Mathematical Modeling Contest for Undergraduates (ranked 4th out of 640 teams) •
Paper: Mathematical Analysis and Modeling for Elevator Scheduling • Apr 2010
• Fudan Scholarship for Fundamental Sciences • 2009-2011
Geosun Illumination Co. – Ningbo, China Jan 2012-May 2012
• Designed and led construction of long term employee performance database using SQL for 200 sales representatives.
• Developed a novel employee long term performance rating system through analysis of the ELO chess-player rating system.
Computer Science and Engineering- Michigan State University SS2015, FS2014 and SS2014
• CSE 331 Data Structure and Algorithm. Designed programming projects for the course. Grading and office hour instructions
• CSE 260 Discrete Mathematics. Lecture and discussion for undergraduate students.
Z E J I A Z H E N G Page 2
• Programming: • C/C++ • Matlab • Python • JAVA • Android • Unity
• Libraries/Tools: • LATEX • Qt4 • Matlab/Python/JAVA GUI Design • CUDA programming • OpenGL • OpenCV
• Dr. Juyang (John) Weng, Computer Science and Engineering • Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824 • phone:
517.353.4388 • email: email@example.com
• Dr. Fathi Salem, Electrical and Computer Engineering • Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824 • phone:
517.355.7695 • email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Dr. Eric Torng, Computer Science and Engineering • Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824 • phone: 517.353.3543
• email: email@example.com
• Dr. Zhu Li, Compact Descriptor for Visual Search Group • Samsung Research America, Richardson, TX 75082 • email:
• Dr. Wei Lin, School of Mathematical Science • Fudan University, Shanghai, China 200433 • phone: +86.021.55665141 • email:
Z E J I A Z H E N G Page 3