Legacy Technologies - Message Boards, Chat Rooms, List
Serves, Email, & Forums.
Evolving Web 2.0 Technologies - Collaborative sharing
through user-generated content. Real-time updates.
Privacy, Scalability & Security - Teacher control in an open
space user-generated network. No need for IT
department to install servers or accounts. Everything is
Web 2.0 based technologies.
A Blend of Social Networking & Online Classes
Edmodo was created to provide a private communication
platform built for teachers, students, and classrooms.
Simplicity For Teachers
Scalability - Registration is simple for our students. Uses
a Group Code to register. Teacher does not have to
enter in each student like a Gaggle or other email
service. Can create multiple classes within minutes.
Real Time Updates - RSS Feeds, “Facebook” like
interface, and Tagging capability.
Privacy - Students cannot directly communicate with
each other. All student posts are shared with group.
Teacher can set which posts are public or private for the
group. Not open like Twitter and Facebook.
Relevance for Teaching & Learning
Opportunities to experience learning in multiple ways, to
develop a public voice, to make connections with others
around the world, and to compare their own ideas with
those of their peers.
At times, teaching moments happen outside of the
classroom. “Teachable moments” anywhere, anytime.
Teacher availability outside of cell phones.
Debates, dialogue, socratic seminars, demonstrations take
on a virtual look.
Just Launched Last Saturday
EDMODO 3.0 FEATURE HIGHLIGHTS
Notable Edmodo 3.0 features
▪ Realtime updates – Edmodo time-line auto-refreshes
▪ Threaded replies, replies are now underneath each post instead of sent to the top of the timeline and treated like a
▪ New caching system – Speed when clicking items is now super fast
▪ Archive feature – ability for teachers to archive their groups forever.
▪ Inline editing of posts and replies -we don’t send you to a separate page to edit your posts and replies now.
▪ Spotlight feature – when someone replies to one of your posts, when you post an assignment or when a student
turns in an assignment they get highlighted in the spotlight area. This should be the first thing you check when you
login to Edmodo from now on.
▪ See all posts by user by clicking their picture or name.
Items currently disabled in Edmodo 3.0
▪ Notifications are currently disabled - Update: turned back on Aug 2nd at 2:04pm CST time
▪ Importing of RSS feeds – Should be back this evening
▪ Group Deletion – we have to rewrite the group deletion codes. as things are much more complex due to our
cacheing system. No time-frame yet on when this will be back.
Director of Educational Technology