Rev.1:10 “I was in the Spirit on the Lord’s day, and heard behind me a great voice , as of a trumpet,
Just what does being “in the spirit” mean to the worshipper of God.We also need to look at the next highlighted part of the verse, because it highlights how we suppose to be on that day, “on the Lord’s day”!
1.Scripture shows which day is the “Lord’s day”. Gen.1:31,2:1-3 “And God saw everything that he had made, and behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.” 2:1-3 “Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made.And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which he had made.”
Isa.58:13,14 “If thou turn away thy foot from the Sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call Sabbath a delight, the holy of the Lord, honorable; and shall honor him, not doing thy own ways, nor finding thy own pleasure, nor speaking thy own words; Then shalt thou delight thyself in the Lord; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the Lord has spoken it.”
Desire of the Ages.pg.289 “To all who receive the Sabbath as a sign of Christ’s creative and redeeming power, it will be a delight. Seeing Christ in it, they delight themselves in him. The Sabbath points them to the works of creation as an evidence of his mighty power in redemption. While it calls to mind the lost peace of Eden, it tells of peace restored through the saviour. And every object in nature repeats His invitation. “Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.” Matt.11:28.
2.So we can have an idea of what kind of experience the final chosen disciple that physically walked with Jesus on the earth experienced on that island called Patmos on the Sabbath day. It is this experience we all should have every Sabbath, that it can be spilled over into the week ahead. Let’s continue to examine what it means to be “in the spirit”.
3. What does the word “Spirit” mean: Greek word for Spirit means; “pneuma”: “Holy Ghost, or Spirit of God or Spirit of Christ or Spirit of Truth”. “pneumatikos”: “spiritual”; or the way one is having the Holy Spirit upon his life.” “phronema”: “minded”, carnally or spiritually minded.
4. Jesus gave certain doctrines regarding “The Spirit”, lets examine them: Jn.4:24 “God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.” Jn.3:5,6 “Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the spirit is spirit.”
Jn.14:15-18 “If ye love me, keep my commandments.And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you forever;Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but you know him, for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.I will not leave you comforterless: I will come to you.”
Jn.14:26 “But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.”
5. The scriptures just read suggest that God only accepts humanity in whom his Spirit exist, and this is God in the person through his Spirit, and the words of Jesus Christ. Paul also comments on the Spirit under inspiration of God: 2Cor.3:17 “Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is Liberty. Rom.8:16 “The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:
1Cor.12:4,8-11 “Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.”
6. Scripture also shows that one can have an unclean or evil spirit; Lk.6:17-19 “And he came down with them, and stood in the plain, and the company of his disciples, and a great multitude of people out of all Judea and Jerusalem, and from the seacoast of Tyre and Sidon, which came to hear him, and to be healed of their diseases;And they that were vexed with unclean spirits: and they were healed.And the whole multitude sought to touch him: for there went virtue out of him, and healed them all.”
Jude.17-19 “But, beloved, remember the words which were spoken before of the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ;How that they told you there should be mockers in the last time, who should walk after their own lusts.These be they who separate themselves, sensual, having not the same spirit.” 1Sam.16:14 “But the Spirit of the Lord departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the Lord troubled him.”
7. This also gives the understanding that the word “Spirit” means “Experience”, that is to say, the person in whom the Holy Spirit is, is having a holy experience, or God is dwelling in the person through the words of Christ. Scripture shows this:
Matt.10:17-20 “But beware of men: for they will deliver you up to the councils, and they will scourge you in their synagogues;And ye shall be brought before governors and kings for my name sake, for a testimony against them and the gentiles.But when they deliver you up, take no thought how or what you shall speak: for it shall be given you in that same hour what you shall speak.For it is not ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father which speaketh in you.”
2Sam.23:1-3 “Now these be the last words of David. David the son of Jesse said, and the man who was raised up on high, the anointed of Jacob, and the sweet psalmist of Israel, said,The Spirit of the Lord spake by me, and his word was in my tongue.The God of Israel said, the Rock of Israel spake to me, He that ruleth over men must be just, ruling in the fear of God…”
Higher Calling pg.151“We cannot use the Holy Spirit. TheSpirit is to use us.”1The.5:19 “Quench not the Spirit.”
8. Yhwh is responsible for givingthe Holy Spirit to humanity oncondition: Lk.11:3 “If ye then, beingevil, know how to give good giftsunto your children: how muchmore shall your heavenly fathergive the Holy Spirit to them thatask him.”
9.God has pleasure in his people whohas the Holy Spirit: Isa.42:1 “Behold my servant, whom Iuphold; mine elect, in whom my souldelighteth; I have put my spirit uponhim: he shall bring forth judgment tothe Gentiles.” Phil.2:13 “For it is God whichworketh in you both to will and to doof his good pleasure.”
10. When the Holy Spirit is upon an individual, they naturally give off an attractive effect: Eph.4:23,24 “And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;And that you put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.”
Gal.5:22-24 “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, long- suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.And they that are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.”
“FRUIT” This is significant of three reasons:1.It means the result, product, outcome, or effect produced by the Spirit in the person’s life who have accepted Jesus Christ.2. Unlike the “gifts of the Spirit”[plural], only some of which is given to a christian, but each christian is to have all nine virtues comprising “the Fruit of the Spirit”[singular].3. As fruit on a tree takes time to grow and mature, so the Holy Spirit does not cultivate these virtues overnight[at conversion] in the person’s life.
11. These qualities are aspects of Gods character that we all need to have and use:Love: Outgoing concern for others. True concern for all of mankind. Not being self- centered. Doing for others what is right, despite their character, appearance, social status, etc.Joy: Related to happiness, only happiness requires right circumstances where joy does not. Jesus Christ felt joy though He faced heavy trials (Hebrews 12:2). We should all be joyful having been called by God.
Peace: Peace of mind and peace with God.This kind of experience filters out tohumanity by your way of life.(2Cor.13:11). Long-suffering: Bearing with others who areworking out their salvation. Being slow toanger.(Romans 15:1-3; Luke 21:19). Kindness: Behaving toward others kindly, asGod has behaved toward us.(Ephesians 4:31-32). Goodness: Generosity of spirit that springsfrom imitating Jesus Christ.(Psalm 33:4-5).
Faithfulness: Being reliable. This describesa person who is trustworthy and willalways stand up for Gods way. We cancount on, and should work at imitating,the faithfulness of God (Philippians 1:6;Hebrews 13:5).Meekness/Gentleness: Considerate andtactful in conduct and correction. Neverangry at the wrong time (Matthew 5:22-24;Ephesians 4:26).Temperance/Self-Control: Disciplinewhich gives us victory over the wrong pullsof our mind and body (I John 2:15-17).
Manuscript Releases Vol.2, pg.12,13. “The grand truths of the Bible are for us individually, to rule, to guide, to control our life; for this is the only way in which Christ can be properly represented to our world in grace and loveliness in the characters of all who profess to be His disciples. Nothing less than heart service will be acceptable with God… The Holy Spirit implants a new nature, and molds through the grace of Christ the human character, until the image of Christ is perfected; this is true holiness.”
Manuscript Releases Vol.2, pg.10,12 “The grace of God cannot cooperate with iniquity. Gods Spirit can only enlighten the understanding of those who are willing to be enlightened… Those who place themselves under the control of the Holy Spirit can be doers of Christs words. All such will be refreshed as with the dew of heaven….”
Manuscript Releases Volume Eleven Pg.277“This instruction is of vital importance to everyone. At this time, above all other items in the history of the earth, these words should be practiced. But today they are to a great extent left out of the practice of professing Christians. This is the reason why God is dishonored by discord and strife, why He does not give to His people the power He would be pleased to impart. He desires to glorify His name before the world and before the heavenly universe. But church members are not doing the work they should do.”
1The.5:19 “Quench not the Spirit.”Gal.5:25 “If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.”