An Exegesis on the “Word” and “Character” of “BRETHREN”An Exegesis on the An Exegesis on the“Word” and “Word” and“Character” of “Character” of“BRETHREN”! “BRETHREN”!
Manuscript Releases Volume Nine: Page 338 E. G. White and Harmony With the Brethren:“I have nothing, nothing but kindness and love in my heart toward you. I long for perfect harmony with my brethren, but I must do the work that God has given me to do, even if it separates me from my brethren and friends.”
Manuscript Releases Volume Eleven: Page 261 Love the Need of the Church"Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil" (1 Cor. 13: 4,5). Troubles exist between brethren in the church because they fail to understand what constitutes true Christian charity, brotherly affection, and Christlike love. Self-love and self-esteem lead professed Christians to measure themselves by themselves. They take for granted that all their surmisings and suspicions of others are correct. But it is because of suspicions and judging of one another that there is discord, strife, and an unhealthy condition of the church….
….If brethren would meet together once or twice a week, and with humble minds, feeling their weakness and realizing their defects, would then ask the Lord to enlighten their understanding and fill their hearts with His love, examining not one another, but the Scriptures, Satan would be defeated. Many imaginary difficulties, mere molehills that have been magnified into mountains and have made barriers between brethren, would vanish, and love, compassion, and respect would take the place of jangling and accusation. When you begin to judge your brethren, you are doing a work God has not given you to do. You are not working with Christ. God did not place you upon the judgment seat to measure and pronounce sentence upon your brethren.”
1.The word “Brethren” means: Gk. “Adelphotes”: 1Pet.1:22 “Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently:”
2. The word “Brethren” means: Gk. “Philadelphia”: A fraternal love as brethren; fraternal affection: Rev.3:7-13 “ And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write; These things saith he that is holy, he that is true, he that hath the key of David, he that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man openeth;  I know thy works: behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it: for thou hast a little strength, and hast kept my word, and hast not denied my name….
Rev 3:9-11  Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee.  Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth.  Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown”.
Rev 3:12-13 “ Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.  He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.”
3. The scriptures teaches love among thebrethren, that is Philadelphia in origin:Heb 13:1-3 Let brotherly love continue. Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: forthereby some have entertained angelsunawares. Remember them that are in bonds, asbound with them; and them which sufferadversity, as being yourselves also in the body.
John 15:13-17 Greater love hath no man than this, that a manlay down his life for his friends. Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever Icommand you. Henceforth I call you not servants; for theservant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I havecalled you friends; for all things that I have heard ofmy Father I have made known unto you. Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you,and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forthfruit, and that your fruit should remain: thatwhatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, hemay give it you. These things I command you, that ye love oneanother.
John 13:34-35  A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.  By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.
Rom 12:9-10  Let love be without dissimulation. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.  Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another;1 Thess 4:9  But as touching brotherly love ye need not that I write unto you: for ye yourselves are taught of God to love one another.
4.The scriptures also teach that YHWH desires all men to be “Brethren” and be saved:1 Tim 2:3-5  For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;  Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.  For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;
5.To be brethren, we must first be children of God:John 1:29  The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.John 1:12-13  But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:  Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
Rom 8:14-16  For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.  For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.  The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:
Testimonies to Ministers and Gospel Workers : Page 47 Vital Principles of Relationship“God has revealed many things to me which He has bidden me give to His people by pen and voice. Through this message of the Holy Spirit, Gods people are given sacred instruction concerning their duty to God and to their fellowmen…
…A strange thing has come into our churches. Men who are placed in positions of responsibility that they may be wise helpers to their fellow workers have come to suppose that they were set as kings and rulers in the churches, to say to one brother, Do this; to another, Do that; and to another, Be sure to labor in such and such a way. There have been places where the workers have been told that if they did not follow the instruction of these men of responsibility, their pay from the conference would be withheld.
…It is right for the workers to counsel together as brethren; but that man who endeavors to lead his fellow workers to seek his individual counsel and advice regarding the details of their work, and to learn their duty from him, is in a dangerous position and needs to learn what responsibilities are really comprehended in his office. God has appointed no man to be conscience for his fellowman. It is not wise to lay so much responsibility upon an officer that he will feel that he is forced to become a dictator.
6. Humanity are enemies of God once their lives are not guided by God:Rom 6:16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?James 4:4 Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.
7. It is through the doing and dying of Jesus Christ, when we accept it, we are made brethren of any race and nationality:Eph 2:13-14  But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.  For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;
Eph 2:18-22:  For through him we both have access by oneSpirit unto the Father. Now therefore ye are no more strangers andforeigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, andof the household of God; And are built upon the foundation of theapostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself beingthe chief corner stone; In whom all the building fitly framed togethergroweth unto an holy temple in the Lord: In whom ye also are builded together for anhabitation of God through the Spirit.
Eph 3:14-15,17:  For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, Of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named,  That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,
Eph 3:18-19: May be able to comprehendwith all saints what is the breadth,and length, and depth, and height; And to know the love of Christ,which passeth knowledge, that yemight be filled with all the fullnessof God.
8. Brethren are those who do YHWH’s will:Matt 12:46-50:  While he yet talked to the people, behold, his mother and his brethren stood without, desiring to speak with him.  Then one said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren stand without, desiring to speak with thee.  But he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brethren?  And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!  For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.
Matt 7:21:  Not every one that saith unto me,Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdomof heaven; but he that doeth the will ofmy Father which is in heaven. John 7:17:  If any man will do his will, he shallknow of the doctrine, whether it be ofGod, or whether I speak of myself.
9. Brethren are called brethren because they aresanctified by Christ:Heb 10:10, 14: By the which will we are sanctified throughthe offering of the body of Jesus Christ once forall. For by one offering he hath perfected for everthem that are sanctified.Heb 2:11: For both he that sanctifieth and they who aresanctified are all of one: for which cause he is notashamed to call them brethren,…
10. The scriptures show that brethren are not to showlove in word only, but also in action: James 2:14-18:  What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man sayhe hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?  If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of dailyfood,  And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, beye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them notthose things which are needful to the body; what doth itprofit?  Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, beingalone.  Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I haveworks: show me thy faith without thy works, and I willshow thee my faith by my works.
“Faith alone saves, buta faith that saves isnever alone” John Calvin.
1 John 3:14-18: We know that we have passed from death untolife, because we love the brethren. He that loveth nothis brother abideth in death. Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: andye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding inhim. Hereby perceive we the love of God, because helaid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down ourlives for the brethren. But whoso hath this worlds good, and seeth hisbrother have need, and shutteth up his bowels ofcompassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God inhim? My little children let us not love in word, neither intongue; but in deed and in truth.
1 John 3:22-24: And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him,because we keep his commandments, and dothose things that are pleasing in his sight. And this is his commandment, That weshould believe on the name of his Son JesusChrist, and love one another, as he gave uscommandment. And he that keepeth his commandmentsdwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby weknow that he abideth in us, by the Spirit whichhe hath given us.
Manuscript Releases Volume Eighteen : Page 197 The Sin of Evilspeaking; a Call to Sanctified Living“It is not Gods plan that reports regarding thework of His servants shall be passed from one toanother. My brethren, when someone comes toyou with an accusation against a fellow workersay to him, "Have you gone to the one you areaccusing, in the way in which Christ has toldyou to go? If you have not done this, I am not atliberty to listen to what you have to say abouthim."
…Hear what Christ has said regarding this matter: "If thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee; leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift." And He says again, "Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone; if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother. But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established. And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglects to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and publican."
…Those who are Bible Christians will do as Christ has directed. If His directions were followed, many wounds would be cured that are now left to fester and break out until they are incurable. To follow the course laid down by the great Teacher, who never errs in counsel, is the only way to stop the false tongue, and cause criticism and accusing to cease. The abiding love of Christ in the soul leads to the manifestation of His meekness and lowliness.
198 …Oh, how much time is worse than wastedby evilspeaking. Because of this sin, not half isaccomplished that might be accomplished.Men and women become mischief makers forSatan, and, going to this one and that one,place in their minds the leaven of evil,prejudicing them against a brother or a sisterwho, they say, has done wrong. The thoughtsof those thus influenced are disturbed, theirpeace is destroyed, and their confidence intheir brethren is weakened.
…Those who do this evil work are departingfrom Christ to follow one who is teachingthem to love and make a lie. Whatever theirposition in the service of God, they aredishonoring Him, and Christ says to them, "Ihave somewhat against thee, because thouhast left thy first love." All their qualificationsand capabilities, however commendablethey may apparently be, will not supply thedeficiency resulting from the lack ofChristlike love.”