Linking Search and Social
through G+ and Blogging
Professor of Marketing
Communicaions for the World.
MMA New Orleans
• What is Web Analytics?
• Why is Web Analytics Important?
– Pressure for Return on Investment
• Pedagogical Challenges
– Technical Hurdles
– Varying backgrounds
– Intimidation Factor
• Debra’s Personal Analytics Story
• Possible Classroom Solution
What is Web Analytics?
A simple definition:
• Web Analytics = analyzing data to provide
insight about behavior and performance
• Ex: data about people visiting a website, the
effectiveness of an online ad campaign
Why Web Analytics Important?
• Web analytics are increasingly important as
businesses place greater emphasis on tracking
return on investment.
• ROI Example: Click on Google Ad > Visit
Website > Make Purchase
• Tracking allows you to know what works.
Google’s Success = Analytics
• Business: Google, we spent $500 on our ad
campaign. How much money did we make?
• Google: 105 people clicked on the ad, and 20
people bought your widget, resulting in $1000
• Business: ClearChannel, we spent $5,000 on a
billboard. How much money did we make?
• ClearChannel: We have no idea.
A Starting Point for Students
• Needed: something students can relate to
• Google has free tools - Blogger, Google
• Easy to set up, builds confidence in students
• It’s fun!
(ex: looking at the number of visitors to your
Personal Analytics Experience
• Debra’s experience
• Show dashboards, stats
• Briefly show how easy it is to plug the UA #
• Next Steps: try it, link for slideshare, short link
for free ebook on facebook ads, google
adwords (including google analytics)
Step 1. to Authorship in Search in Blogger and Wordpress. In G+, under Settings, Account, go
to the Right and Edit Profile, then Links. Put in everywhere you have a profile or contribute.
Now you will have a complete list of your social media profile
Step 2. Verify Your email address
https://plus.google.com/authorship (works best if on
same domain as content).
By FIRSTNAME LASTNAME.<br />
You can find <a href="http://LINKTOYOURWEBSITE"> FIRSTNAME </a> on <a
rel="author" target="_blank">Google+</a> and <a
href="http://www.twitter.com/YOURTWITTERID" target="_blank">Twitter</a> as
well as <a href="http://www.linkedin.com/in/YOURLINKEDINID">LinkedIn</a>.
ANOTHER SAMPLE AUTHOR BOX
Andy Crestodina is the Strategic Director of Orbit Media, a <a
href=”http://www.orbitmedia.com”>web design company</a> in Chicago. You
can find Andy on <a title="Author: Andy Crestodina on Google+" rel="author"
target="_blank">Google+</a> and <a title="Andy Crestodina on Twitter"
Step 3. Insert CODE TO ESTABLISH AUTHORSHIP IN Google Searches: Your name
and picture, your Google+ Circles and profile link will be there. Easiest way is to post
at the end of each blog post. Need to upgrade to do so in Word Press. You also
need to make sure that you have filled out your Google Profile completely.