Parents’ lack of personal care to a child’s sense of
belonging, safety and self-esteem affects his desire to
Needs of a Child
NEEDS – Belonging to family
• Student feels that parents don’t love him/her.
• Parents only concerned about results.
• Emotional stress on child.
• Eagerness to per
• Added insecurity hampers ability to learn.
• Parents to how concern for child other than
• Recognise child’s interest and talents in non-
NEEDS – Sense of Relatedness
• Student desires to leave the class
• Feels apart rather than being a part of the class.
• Mind cluttered with thoughts of ‘getting out of
• Hampered from acquiring knowledge with a
peace of mind.
• Teachers should show earnest commitment to
students and their learning. (Cornelius-White,
• Teacher can entrust the child some form of
responsibility in class.
NEEDS – Self Determination
• Students feel that they have no say in their
• Lack of rest (unfulfilled physical needs)
• Interest in school tasks increased when
students have been given some choice in their
learning regime. (Grolnick, Gurland, Jacob &
• Meeting of basic physiological needs such as
sufficient rest is essential. (Maslow, 1970)
• Parents can sit down with child and work out a
consensus on study regime
• Factor in free time for rest.