The World Almanac – Finding
when facts in print resources
31 Oct. 2016
What is it?
• The World Almanac and Book of Facts is the place to go to
when you need to know just about anything that
happened in a specific year.
• Topics range from popular culture and sports to
international discourse and economy.
• The almanac can help you find when something happened
in a specific year or what were that things that happened
in that year
• For example, what else happened in 1939 besides the start
• Consult the almanac for that year and find out!
Who is it for?
• The almanac is for everyone. It is easy to find and easy
• Adults, students, children and anyone else looking for
information can use The World Almanac and Book of Facts.
• There is a specific almanac just for kids that is filled
with puzzles, games, jokes, and lots of pictures.
• Presidents have also been known to use them
• The almanac website reports that Bill Clinton kept
almanacs in his office during his term.
What questions can it help answer?
• It can help answer questions about current or historical events.
• It gives you the date of when and where an event occurred according to the year it was
published but it has past events listed too.
• Some questions it can help answer are:
• What major health crisis happened in 1918? What happened?
• When was the Watergate fiasco? Who was evolved?
• When did the Cold War end? Who won?
Where do we find it?
• The almanac is readily accessible in
almost all school, public libraries,
and academic libraries.
• It is usually a reference item and
does not circulate, but can be used
How do I use it?
• It is a very thick book but there are black
markings on the side that divide the
sections and allow the reader to find
what they need fast.
• There is a table of contents that lists all
the topics and subtopics and their page
numbers making it easy to find your area
• The almanac includes figures and tables
with many pictures so the reader is can
better understand the information.
Why should I trust it?
• It is the #1 best selling American reference book of all time.
• It has been recognized by many for being a valuable reference source since
• It is widely sold and commonly found in schools and libraries alike.
• It has been reviewed by many reputable companies to assure that it is doing
what it is meant to do.
Questions & Comments
• If you have any questions or comments about the almanac or how to use it
please see me.
• Remember that it is available in the reference section on the lower library of
that library, so next time you’re down there feel free to go in and look
• Janssen, S. (2015). The world almanac and book of facts 2016 (World
Almanac and Book of Facts). New York, NY: World Almanac.
• ISBN-13: 978-1600572012
• OCLC #: 904812896
• Library of congress call #: AY67.N5 W7
• Dewey #: 317.3 W893
• Can be found in the reference section of our library or at your local public library.