Group Presentation and
Prof. Shou de
Prof Shou-de Lin
To Present or not To Present
•PPeople who present d not h
l h t do t have t work
on the essay.
• If you have any comments about the
arrangement, please let me know by the
g ,p y
end of today.
• Your group should voluntarily arrange a
30-minute meeting with me on the same
week of the presentation
• It counts 30% toward your final grade.
• Machine Discovery Group (present on Dec 28th):
Language Model Group (Dec 7th)
Unsupervised Learning Group (Dec 14th)
Link Discovery Group (Dec 21th)
• You should treat it as a short tutorial.
• It is NOT about one person reading one
paper and present. I suggest everybody
browsing every paper discussing how to
organize the lecture and how/whom to
• In your meeting with me, you need to bring
a short outline of your lecture.
• Those who are not assigned to present will
have to write an essay (
y (about 1000 words
in English, or 2000 words in Chinese,12pt,
1 5 space)
• It is due Dec 28th.
• You have to answer 3 of the following 4
• We have shown that the language model
is a powerful way to capture the order
p y p
information of things. Other than language,
can you think of certain type of information
that can be modeled using an LM?
• In the class we have shown that EM can
be applied to resolve the chicken-and-egg
dilemma. That is, you have figured out that
information X tells you about Y and vice
versa, but you know neither of them, then
you can apply EM to learn both Can you
think of a scenario (other than those we
have discussed in the class) that contains
such dilemma that can be handled by EM?
• In the class, we have discussed certain
property of a semantic g p ( social
network). Can you think of another
property of a semantic graph that might be
• We have shown that the semantic graph (or
MRN) is a powerful representation tool for
) p p
social relationships and thesaurus. Can you
think of another type of data or information
(other than the ones we have mentioned in
the class) that can be represented in such
format? Draw a simple example.