General Transit Feed Specification
● Ride On publishes
bus schedules in
● It’s a ZIP of TXT files.
– Actually, CSV.
● Can I get the
information out of
What’s in the GTFS?
● List of bus routes.
● List of bus stops, with GPS coords.
● A calendar of “services”.
● List of trips under each “service”.
– trip: a bus serving a route from start to end.
● When does each trip depart each stop.
How the Map was Created
1.Import GTFS files into SQLite database
2.Write SQL queries to find out:
• what “services” are active today
• what trips belong to these services
• where are the stops served by the trip
3.Plot today’s available stops on HERE Maps
● Automatic GTFS updates
● Multi-agency: MetroBus, Fairfax Connector, and
● Interactive maps
● “where can I reach within 75 minutes?”
● “what’s the latest time I must head back?”
Ride On Today
● Try the app:
● Imperfect source code:
– yoursunny.com is proudly built with PHP
● Follow me on social media: