Uusi päivä (alk.4.10)Koko perheen draamakomedia on läsnä kolmessa mediassa. TV:ssä nähdään puoli tuntia kolmasti viikossa, verkossa kerronta on jatkuvaa ja sarja on läsnä myös YleX -radiokanavalla.
Sarja sijoittuu kuvitteelliseen Virtaus-nimiseen pikkukaupunkiin keskellä maaseutua. Tärkeässä osassa on lukion ilmaisutaidon osasto.
Ohjelman verkkopresenssin suunnittelu lähti kysymyksestä: ”Miten tavoitamme nuoret?” Nuoret kuuntelevat musiikkia, surffaavat netissä ja käyttävät sosiaalisia medioita luontevasti. Syntyi idea uudesta monimediaisesta ohjelmasta. Ohjelman konsepti on harvinainen, ja näin ei ole luultavasti ikinä ennen tehty missään muualla. Verkkotoimittajat osallistuvat ohjelman toteuttamiseen yhdessä muiden tekijöiden, kuten käsikirjoittajien ja editoijien kanssa.
Yle - tasks and strategy
- Yle is a public service communications company founded in 1926. Yle is owned by every Finn. The company’s functions, operations and funding are determined by law.
- Yle’s main tasks include the provision of educational programming, serving Finnish and Swedish language citizens equally and transmitting messages from the authorities.
- The highest authorities within Yle are the Administrative Council elected by Parliament and the Board of Directors appointed by the Administrative Council.
82% of the population use services provided by Yle daily.
- Yle also offers many specialized services such as plain or Sámi language news, programmes in sign language, subtitling for the hearing-impaired and audio subtitling, as well as Finnish programming to Finns abroad via satellite and the Internet.
- Kartalla: alue-tv:t, alueelliset radiot ja toimittajien työpisteet.
Yle offers content through different distribution channels, using Pikku Kakkonen as an example:
TV: Pikku Kakkonen, a daily magazine programme (weekday mornings, weekday nights, weekend mornings) INTERNET: Pikku Kakkonen’s experience world (a safe game world for children) INTERNET TV: Programmes can be viewed at YLE Areena MOBILE: Programmes can be viewed through the YLE mobile service RADIO: Pikku Ykkönen, a weekly radio programme EVENTS: Lapsi-messut (Children’s fair) and other children’s events
95% saadaan laskemalla yhteen koko Ylen infra, joka on käytössä tuotettaessa ja jaettaessa suomalaista sisältöä, eli mm. kanavat, lähetyskeskus, tekniikka, palkat jne. 5% pitää sisällään ainoastaan ulkomaiset sisältöostot. (Lähde: Ismo)
Yle is a member of the European Broadcasting Union, which is the world’s most extensive union of national radio and television companies.
Public service broadcasting operations have a long European tradition. Equality, objectivity, fairness, freedom of speech, and promoting civilization and culture are important values.
Public service is central to the idea of democracy because it provides citizens free access to information, regardless of domicile, language or wealth.
What is public service in the 21st century?
Public service broadcasting still has a strong position in Europe.
The 21st century has seen a discussion of how and what content should be provided. Each country decides for itself how the task and the funding are fulfilled best.
Public service content varies, based on things such as the size of the nation and what kinds of minorities – language or otherwise – are served.
Opettaja.tv on opettajan työtä tukeva ohjelmakokonaisuus, joka pitää sisällään tv-ohjelmia YLE Teemalla ja laajan verkkosivuston osoitteessa www.opettaja.tv
Opettaja.tv lähettää ohjelmaa viitenä päivänä viikossa. Tv-ohjelmissa tutustutaan mm. erilaisiin opetusmenetelmiin ja käytäntöihin ja vieraillaan kouluissa ja oppilaitoksissa. Lisäksi tarjolla on opetusohjelmia oppitunneilla katsottaviksi (ent. Koulu-tv). Iso osa Opettaja.tv:n ohjelmista on katsottavissa myös netistä.
Opettaja.tv:n sivustolla tarjolla on mm. 6000 audiovisuaalista oppimisaihiota sekä tuntityökalu niiden vaivattomaan käyttöön opetuksessa.
Opettaja.tv haluaa myös tuoda täydennyskoulutuksen jokaisen opettajan saataville. Kurssit ovat täydennyskoulutuskeskusten suunnittelemaa virallista koulutusta Opettaja.tv:n verkkosivuilla. Opettaja.tv on valtakunnallinen ja tasavertaisesti kaikkien käytettävissä.
Yle’s services stand out from others through their Finnish character and attitude based on the values of public service.
Yle’s work environment and culture support innovation. Yle is open both internally and externally.
The strategy is based on customer orientation.
Yle centralizes its strengths and services so that their effectiveness is the greatest possible.
Yle combines traditional services and the new social media to form a unique Finnish entity.
- The greatest client challenge is young adults.
A 6% increase is helpful, but Yle must save the equivalent of 20 million euro itself.
The television licence fee system needs to be reformed (with regard to the media fee, the public would have paid for Yle content instead of the equipment for the very first time). The ’medielicens’ is in use in Denmark. Germany has decided to introduce a media fee, which is not dependant on the technology
The commercial and political independence of Yle programming is ensured by funding the operations through payments collected from the public instead of commercial income or the state’s budgeted funding. The manner and amount of funding is decided by the Parliament elected by the people. The television licence fee is the most common means of funding public service operations in Europe. Finns pay the second smallest television licence fee in the Nordic countries.
Compared to other parts of Europe, Finnish public service broadcasting is that which is most purely financed by public funds. Finland is the only country in Europe whose public service broadcasting cannot be funded by sponsorship, commercial or authorisation fees. In Southern Europe, for example, approximately 30–50% of the public service broadcasting income comes from advertising. The European Commission uses the Finnish system as an example of a well-run public service. Public funding provides for excellent and comprehensive services. All the while ensuring that the commercial broadcasters have the premise to operate.
Rock-Suomi (alk. 1.11.)
YLE Teeman syksy on omistettu myös suomalaiselle rockille. 10-osainen Rock-Suomi-sarja luotaa kattavasti suomalaisen rockin historian kautta myös suomalaisen yhteiskunnan lähihistoriaa. Monimediaiseen kokonaisuuteen sisältyvät myös Radio Suomen musiikkiohjelmat, Elävä Arkisto, Rock-Suomen oma blogi ja sarjan Facebook-sivut.
Motives: People surf the web and yle.fi for many varied reasons – not just in search of the most up-to-date information. Yle must be able to cater to other motives than staying up-to-date.
Web presence: The Web demands new skills that are not only transferring audio and video broadcasting to the Internet. Writing, photography, presence and managing communities represent challenges to the broadcasting company.
Community: Let’s not force the creation of an Yle community but go where the people already are, or let communities form around things. Let’s support communities – not anticipate them.
Open interfaces and partnerships: We don’t need to do everything ourselves. If Yle opens its content to the use of others, they can develop applications round the content. Reciprocally, Yle does not need to develop all applications itself but rather can utilize existing web platforms.
The boundaries between equipment are blurred: Customers want to use Yle’s content with the equipment that is best suited for them. Yle’s content must be flexible with scalability from mobile to flat screen televisions.
Fewer services, but richer content: YLE.fi’s goal is to produce fewer services in quantity, but more in terms of the effectiveness of its services. In the future, YLE.fi’s services will form greater entities for users, and finding content in them will be significantly easier than before. Linking and creating windows effectively between entities will increase interaction and accessibility.
Networked journalism: Network content as well as journalistic openness and interaction on the Web are the most important development goals at YLE.fi. YLE.fi is renewing the idea of content work on the Web, journalist- and content-specifically. One element in the new kind of content provision is to utilize social media tools, valuing the journalistic selection at the same time.
Wherever the people are – whatever their equipment: YLE.fi aims to be present with its content at various locations on the Net and on different terminals, especially through partnerships. Content is brought into windows on Web services outside Yle by embedding media players, for example. YLE Areena, Elävä arkisto, and other Yle online services are imposed onto Internet television receiver user interfaces in co-operation with manufacturers and telecom operators. Other screens that enable the provision of Internet-based media content will also be seen as Yle service-based operating environments.
Unlimited mobility: YLE.fi must be easily taken along, and that is why its mobility is developed. We believe that Internet content will be used increasingly on the go. Our basic service works on all mobile devices on the market. Additionally, we are developing innovative services for the pioneer equipment in the field. Mobile services are an important part of the design in all our services.
Services for young adults are growing fast: YLE.fi is especially focused on reaching its core target group – young adults.
How a public broadcaster has impact?
Evaluating impact of Yle programming and content: not just ratings or reach. Yle has measured audience appreciation since the 1990’s. Social media brings new ways of observing the impact Yle has on the public the intensity of relation to the publics. - No universal way to measure impact that fits all types of content.
How to think of the impact?
- Generating discussion? Making Finns more healthy? Making Finns more suspicious? Making Finns more nonchalant? - A public broadcaster has an agenda to enhance democracy. Generating discussion and enabling participation in the discussion our tasks.
Olotilan unikoulu tarjoaa tietoa ja käytännön ohjeita vanhemmille, jotka haluavat sopeuttaa lapsen aikuisten elämänrytmiin.
Unikoulua ei ole tarkoitettu pienelle vauvalle, mutta kun lapsen ei enää tarvitse syödä öisin, voidaan harkita unikoulua.
Hakemalla ”unikoulu” Googlesta saa ensimmäisenä tuloksena Olotilan sivun.
Easier to serve teens on demand than in broadcast.
We want to serve the teens with content that is for them, that is not too heavy or too racy, but has young people in them.
Drama is important to teens, a way to learn to cope with emotions.
- A Finnish animation with a deep and humours take on the Finnish society. “The Finnish Simpsons”. Entertainment with distinction.
- Pasilasta tehdään vuodeksi 2011 kaksi uutta 10 jakson pituista tuotantokautta. 3. kausi alkaa tammikuussa 2011 ja 4. kausi myöhemmin saman vuoden syksyllä. Sarja on palkittu Venla- ja Koura-palkinnoilla.
- Animaatio käsittelee Pasilan poliisien arkea satiirisesti. Sarjan päähenkilöt ovat Kyösti Pöysti (tuttia käyttävä poliisi) ja Rauno Repomies (poliisiaseman viiksekäs ylikomisario, jolla on vahva lääkitys ja sekavat jutut).
Deviantart.com – fan art, Pasila characters also in manga style.
Deviant Art is an online community showcasing various forms of user-made artwork.
Deviant Art aims to provide a place for any artist to exhibit and discuss works.
Works are organized in a comprehensive category structure, including photography, digital art, traditional art, literature, Flash, filmmaking, skins for applications, and others, along with extensive downloadable resources such as tutorials and stock photography.
Yle in the Finnish Media Landscape
"Something old, something new, something borrowed,
something blue and a lucky sixpence in her shoe?”
Lauri Kivinen 7.10.2010
• 4 TV channels, 6 radio channels, YLE.fi
and other Internet services.
• 20 regional radio services in Finnish,
5 in Swedish and 1 in Sámi.
• 8 regional TV news broadcasts.
• 98% of Finns use Yle’s Internet, radio,
or TV services weekly.
Yle content on offer through different distribution channels:
using Pikku Kakkonen as an example
Yle’s strength lies in Finnish content
95% of its funds on producing and distributing
Finnish content (TV, radio and the Internet).
70% of Finnish TV programmes itself,
nearly 90% of editorial radio programmes and
versatile, distinguishable content for the
Internet itself (including YLE Areena, Elävä
arkisto,Tehosto, Lapset, Satumaa etc.).
Public Service Media
• Public service broadcasting operations have a long
• Equality, objectivity, fairness, freedom of speech, and
promoting civilization and culture are important values.
• Public service is central
to the idea of democracy
because it provides citizens
free access to information,
regardless of domicile,
language or wealth.
Yle’s mission, vision, and values in 2010
MISSION: Yle exists in order to strengthen democracy and Finnish
culture. Yle is a builder of an open information society. Yle produces
and offers reliable information, shared experiences, and media
content that enriches the lives of Finns.
VALUES: Finnishness, reliability, independence, versatility, and
valuing human beings.
VISION: Yle seeks to be the most significant producer of electronic
media content for Finns, as well as being near and dear, and a bold
pioneer in journalism and culture.
• The goal is to maintain
a comprehensive public service.
• Programs and services are
developed for segmented
• Organisation structure and
overall efficiency are improved.
Main elements of Yle’s strategy
• Yle meets the expectations of its
owners and audiences with high
responsibility and always in
accordance with its values.
• Yle is the stage and sponsor for
• Yle ensures the vitality of Finnish
culture and languages.
• Yle is an active trendsetter for an
open information society.
attitude based on the values of public service
traditional services and the new media
young adults effectiveness
• The commercial and political independence of Yle
programming is ensured by funding the operations through
payments collected from the public.
• Finland is the only country in Europe whose public service
broadcasting cannot be funded by sponsorship, commercial or
• The European Commission uses the Finnish system as an
example of a well-run public service.
The central insights of the YLE.fi strategy
• Motivations of the audience
• Web presence
• Open interfaces and partnerships
• The boundaries between equipment
The central developing points for YLE.fi
• Fewer services but richer content
• Networked journalism
• Wherever people are – whatever their equipment
• Unlimited mobility
• Services for young adults are growing fast
The YLE.fi service areas and strategic structure
Public service is the answer to different user
passing the time,
and discussing themExperiences and
For children – on
The need for
From broadcasting to sharing: Generating impact
Participation, active involvement by the people.
Fans, citizens, persons, artists.
Sharing, linking, discussing, mashing up.
Active choice by the consumer.
I watch, listen and read exactly
what I want to.
Watched or listened
Other things than content influence
strongly the audience behaviour.
Scheduling, time of airing,
working hours, weather.
Enhancing public discussion
M.O.T. – Is eating fat unhealthy?
• A reportage on TV1 on Monday
• A blog by the reporter starts
the discussion already before the program is aired.
• YLE Areena makes possible to watch the program on demand
for 7 days after the airing.
• Discussion active both in and out of YLE.fi.
• A-Talk – a studio discussion on TV1 continues the debate.
• YLE News picks up the story and reports also on the discussion.
How to think of the impact?
Providing concrete and trusted help
Training babies sleep
• Training babies sleep article has
a lot of google juice, it ranks
number one in searches.
• It is linked and shared in the discussion
groups outside of YLE.fi by mothers
whenever other tired and worn out
parents search help from their peers online.
• Teenagers, age group 10-15, has always
been a difficult target for Yle to reach
• H2O – just add water – a mermaid drama
• Within a programme called Summeri.
• Summeri, has 18 000 Facebook fans, many
active fans commenting on threads.
• H2O the most watched program at
YLE Areena in the Summer 2010.
• Over 100 000 unique visitors
• The ratings in broadcast television good in
the target group, but small overall.
Entertainment with distinction
• A Finnish animation with a deep and humorous take
on the Finnish society.
• Has 130 000 fans on Facebook, more than any other
• Some broadcasted airings of the show had a smaller
average minute rating than they had on the web.
• The show inspires, it’s characters and lines from the
show are referred to in discussions, used as avatars
in profiles etc.
• Deviantart.com – fan art, Pasila characters also in
Pasila fan art by by Epe, Yosh-chan, uppuN and kiesu