The problems with APIs…
• Discovery (Endpoints,
• Access (API keys, secrets,
• RTFM (A pain when you
are in hack mode!)
• Data massaging
(Conversion, filtering, etc.)
• The more, the merrier,
Retrieve my Yahoo! contacts
Accessing private data
• Use the endpoint
• Requires OAuth for authentication
• Use one of our SDKs –
How do I get data from YQL into hacks?
• YQL is a REST API in itself and has two
• Public endpoint requires no authentication:
• The private endpoint requires OAuth credentials:
• Supported output formats: JSON, XML
• Use your favourite programming language!
YQL is open!
• You can get your data tables into our system!
• Just write an XML schema and put it on GitHub -
• Example: craigslist search table -
Or, host your own table and use ‘USE’!
myTable.xml’ as mytable;
SELECT * FROM mytable
There are a lot of things you
can do with YQL.
Your imagination is the limit.
Amazing YQL-powered hacks
• Webmeme.In – http://www.webmeme.in/
§ Indian news aggregator
• ChromeYQLip – http://y.ahoo.it/bVSq9
§ A Chrome extension for page scraping using YQL
§ Open Hack Bangalore 2010 winner
• FakeSiri – http://y.ahoo.it/3D05u
§ Voice assistant for Chrome