Yew Chung International School of Beijing Introduction
Yew Chung International School of
1970 – 1980
Dr. Betty Chan Po-king
A pioneer in education reform and current director of all
1932 – 1970
Madame Tsang Chor-hang
A dedicated educator and devoted Christian founds the
first YCIS school in 1932.
1990s – present1990s – present
Yew Chung International Schools :
Hong Kong, Shanghai, Beijing, Chongqing, Qingdao, Silicon
OverOver 6,0006,000 students in totalstudents in total
• Situated next to the scenic Honglingjin Park in downtown
Beijing since 1995, YCIS Beijing focuses on truly global
• 850 students, representing 40 nationalities across the globe.
• YCIS provides education from Early Childhood Education
through to graduation at the end of Secondary.
• YCIS Beijing is accredited by NEASC (Dec 2009), CIS (Jan 2010)
and NCCT (Oct 2009).
• YCIS Beijing is also an accredited Cambridge International
Examinations Centre (Aug 2006) and an IB World School (Aug
YCIS ECE Curriculum
• YCIS follows the Yew Chung international curriculum. The ECE
programme (K2-K4) is fully bilingual and based on the Practice
Guidance for the Early Years Foundation Stage from England.
YCIS Primary Curriculum
• For Years 1-9, an internationalised version of the National
Curriculum for England is used, which includes a YCIS research
based Chinese Language and Culture programme.
YCIS Secondary Curricula
• The International General Certificate of Secondary Education
(IGCSE) is used for Years 10-11.
• The International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme is
used for Years 12-13.
Truly Global Education
• As YCIS combines aspects of Eastern and Western culture,
students receive a truly global education experience.
• YCIS has a unique visionary model that prepares students for
the rapid trend of globalisation and equips them with the
necessary skills they will require in the future.
Combining the Best East & West
• YCIS has a Co-Principal model with two principles representing
the best of East and West .
• In ECE and Primary, YCIS provides a unique Co-Teaching model
consisting of one Western and one Chinese teacher, creating a
truly bilingual environment and a student/teacher ratio of 8:1.
• The Character Education Programme at YCIS focuses morality
and ethics to ensure each student is prepared for life in the
diverse society that exists today.
• YCIS also has its own Charity Project ‘Seeds of Hope’, building
schools for children in rural areas of China.
Fully Rounded & Balanced Education
• YCIS focuses on all aspects of education and devotes time to
develop student’s skills in Music, Art and Sports.
• YCIS also has a unique Violin program in place whereby
students in Years 1-3 will have two violin classes each week.
Experiencing China Programme
• The Experiencing China programme provides opportunities
for Secondary students to gain insights into Chinese history
and culture by visiting various parts of China.
• Past locations include Qingdao, Xi’an and Inner Mongolia.
• World Classroom, open to students from Years 7-10, is an
educational experience allowing students to experience
firsthand the major cultures of the world.
• In the past, YCIS students have enriched their life experiences
by traveling to Orlando, Germany, Jordan and Ethiopia.
• YCIS students have a 100% IGCSE pass rate, 100% IBDP pass
rate and a 100% University acceptance rate to such
prestigious schools as Princeton, Oxford and UCL.
• In 2012, YCIS became the first and only school in China to
receive the ‘Cambridge Award for Excellence in Education’.
• The Admissions team at YCIS strictly follow regulations from the
Beijing Education Commission (BEC)
• Student and parent(s) require foreign passports and a BJ
residence permit (Z visa)
• Other cases to be referred to Beijing Education Committee for
• “Green cards”
• For more information about YCIS Beijing, please feel free to
• Tel: (010) 8583 3731
• Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Website: www.ycis-bj.com