• Our Problem
• Literature Review
• Village Institutions
• Fishbone Diagram
• Matrix Diagram
• Survey and Results
• Evaluation of the Survey
• Gannt Chart
• After especially industrial revolution, environmental
pollution has increased gradually.
• At first, this process was underestimated by people and
institutions but today, the awareness about it goes up.
• Some researches and studies to establish green world are
carried out by states and institutions such as recycling and
renewable energy projects.
Why is protecting the environment
Because environmental pollution;
• changes climate of the world (global warming)
• decreases water resources
• reduces efficiency of earth
• decreases biological diversity
• brings out energy shortage
• bring along serious nutrition problems
• breaks ecosystem balance
Why are the
not common on university
Knowledge of environmental issues defining the literacy about
environment has been evaluated on the basis of the attitude towards
the environment, the usage of environment and environmental
issues. According to the descriptive statistical analysis results, teacher
candidates’ points of environmental knowledge is insufficient. On the
other hand, the results have shown teacher candidates’ have an
environmental-oriented perspective and an awareness towards
environmental issues (Teksöz, Şahin & Ertepınar, 2010).
In Yale University, there is a course ‘Sustainable
Development and Institutional Change’ offered by the
Environmental Studies Department in order to raise
awareness about the environmental issues.
The program includes informational sessions on «green»
resource use, recycling competitions, energy conservation
workshops, and orientation sessions for freshmen and new
students. (Parker, 2007)
According to Cılız, The system of Environment
ENVIRONMENTAL CONSCIOUSNESS IN
Students in Village Institutions were trained in touch
with nature. For example; they were trained on
agriculture, they planted. Such trains raised their
consiciousness about the nature. Briefly, they created
the world that they want to live. (Kartal, 2008)
• Lack of awareness
• Physical conditions
• Not supporting
• Workforce to apply
University Administration Physical Conditions
Lack of Awareness
Not budgeting for
Location and Area of
Why are the
projects not common
Members State Lack of Awareness University Administration Physical Conditions
Yavuz Atabay 3 7 6 3
Zülal Kenar 4 6 5 2
Dilara Savacı 3 6 4 3
Total (out of 21) 10 19 15 8
Percentage (%) 19,2 % 36,5 % 28,8 % 15,4 %
We applied the survey out of 20 university students from
different universities in Turkey:
• 7 people from Bogazici University
• 4 people from Balıkesir University
• 3 people from Middle East Technical University
• 2 people from Uludağ University
• 1 person from Gazi University
• 1 person from Celal Bayar University
• 1 person from Kırşehir University
• 1 person from Kocaeli University http://acforum.org/images/survey.png
SURVEY QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
1. Do you believe that our society have the environmental
YES: 1 Person
NO: 15 People
PARTLY: 4 People
5 %20 %
2. In your neighborhood are the environmental projects
supported by the society?
YES: 7 People
NO: 7 People
PARTLY: 6 People
35 %30 %
3. In your neighborhood are the environmental projects
supported by the municipality?
YES: 10 People
NO: 6 People
PARTLY: 4 People
4. Are the environmental projects cared by the
professors, students and the rectorship adequately?
YES: 9 People
NO: 5 People
PARTLY: 7 People
35 % 45 %
5. On your campus do you apply any environmental project models?
YES: 7 People
NO: 13 People
6. If you apply, give an example of these projects.
Out of 7 people answered ‘YES’;
• 7 Recycling
• 3 Transduction of Solar Energy to Electric Energy
• 1 Transduction of Wind Energy to Electric Energy
• 1 Transduction of Work Energy to Electric Energy
7. If not, what can be the causes of this situation?
Out of 13 people answered ‘NO’;
• Lack of academic staff about environmental issues
• Absence of expertation on such subjects
• Absence of the faculty of engineering
• Uselessness of location
• Not giving importance to the environment
• Not considering the future of the world
8. Have you ever designed an environmental project or
taken part in it?
YES: 2 People
NO: 18 People
9. Do you want to design an environmental project or to
YES: 10 People
NO: 2 People
PARTLY: 8 People
50 %40 %
10. When mentioning an environmental project, what is the
first thing coming up to your mind?
• Healthy World
• Energy Conservation
• Green Power
• Waste Management
• Balanced Ecosystem
Evaluation of Survey
• Majority of people are not aware of the importance of environment.
• Approximately half of the people believe that environmental projects are
not supported by the society.
• 3 – 10th of people say that such projects are not given support by
• In university campuses, environmental issues are not given enough
importance by administration, academic staff and students.
• In the majority of universities, there is no the department of
environmental sciences and environmental project which is carried on.
• Majority of people do not have taken part in any environmental project.
• The environmental awareness should be raised by telling the importance of
environment in terms of our future.
• A course closely related to environmental issues should be added to the
• What we can do for the healthy environment should be expressed to
people of all ages.
• The environmental projects should be supported by university
• The opportunity of expertation in environmental sciences should be
enabled and supported by government and university staff.
• Environmental education should start in preschool.
• Restricted number of participants
• Restricted variability of the participants (Different University
• Restricted number of survey questions
Activities Weeks 09.03 16.03 23.03 30.03 06.04 13.04 20.04 27.04 04.05 11.05
Approval For Topic
Situation and Goals
About The Topic
Cause - Effect
Approval For Main
Check Evaluation of Results
Request For Approval
to Dr. Hayal Köksal
Expected Observed Meeting Place: Eta, Study, Hisar Cafe.
Dates: Every Monday regularly by March 9th.