3. Employees welfare
4. Corporate social responsibility
5. Self growth and development
6. Pioneer initiatives
Tata Group is an Indian multinational conglomerate
Company, headquartered in Mumbai, India. Tata
Group was founded in 1868 by Jamshedji Tata as a
• Total employees are 5,44,502 in 2013.
• Chairman – Cyrus Pallonji Mistry
• Tata Group has over 100 operating companies with
each of them operating independently.
Jamsedji Tata (1868-1904)
Dorabji Tata (1904–1932)
Nowroji Saklatwala (1932–
J. R. D. Tata (1938–1991)
Ratan Tata (1991–2012)
Cyrus Mistry (2012–
TATA is one of the biggest group in the world and
he diversify its business into:
• Tata chemicals
• Rallis India
• Tata pigments ltd
• Magadi Soda Company, etc.
2. CONSUMER PRODUCTS
• Tata salt
• Tata I Shakti
• Tata swatch
• Tata global beverages
• Tata sky
• Tata tea
• Tanishq, etc.
• Taj hotels
• Taj air
• Air asia
• Tata housing development company
• Ginger hotels
• Tata financial services
• Tata AIG general insurance, etc
4. INFORMATION SYSTEMS AND COMM.
• Tata consultancy services (TCS)
• Virgin mobile India
• Tata elxsi
• Nelito systems, etc
• Tata motors
• Tata Daewoo commercial vechiles
• Voltas global engineering centres
• Tata autocomp systems ltd.
• Tata technologies ltd, etc
• Tata power solar(joint venture with bp)
• Jamshedpur utilities and services company
• Tata power delhi distribution ltd.
• Hooghly met coke and power company,etc
• Tata steel
• Tata steel Europe
• Tata bluescope steel
• Tata sponge iron, etc
9. CORE SCIENCES
• Tata institute of fundamental research
• Tata institute of social sciences
• Tata Steel introduced the 8-hour working day for
all the employees in 1912.
• In 1915, Tata Steel introduced free medical
facility to the employees and their family, which
continues after retirement.
• The “employee association with management”
programme initiated in 1956 gave the workers a
strong voice in the affairs of the company.
• Monetary incentives to the employees acquiring
higher qualification in a related field along with
study leave, scholarships etc.
• Subsidised electricity, water and housing facility.
• TATA STEEL
1. Self Help Group(SHG’S)
Over 500 SHG’S are currently operating under various
poverty alleviation programs; out of which over 200 are
engaged in activities of income generation thorough
micro enterprises. Women empowerment programs
through SHG’S extended to 700 villages.
2. Healthcare Projects
The healthcare projects of TATA Steel include facilitation
Of child education, immunization and childcare, creation
Of awareness of AIDS and other healthcare projects.
3. Economic Empowerment
A program aiming at economic empowerment
through improvised agriculture has been taken up
In three backward tribal areas of Jharkhand, orissa
and Chhattisgarh. An expenditure of Rs 100 crore has
been estimated for the purpose and this program is
expected to benefit 40,000 tribal living in over 400
Villages and in these three states.
• TATA MOTORS
1. Employment Generation
The Tata Motors Grihini Social Welfare Society
assists employees' women dependents; they make
a variety of products, ranging from pickles to
electrical cable harnesses etc ; thereby making them
2. Natural Environment
On the World Environment Day, Tata Motors has
launched a tree plantation drive across India and
countries in the SAARC region, Middle East Russia and
Africa. As many as 25,000 trees were planted on the day.
• Taj Hotel
After 26/11 terroist attack in Mumbai, the main
adversely affected target was the Taj hotel. The TATA
GROUP bounced back with so many urgent reliefs, some
of them are:-
1. Relief and assistance was extended to all those who
were injured and killed during the attack.
2. Relief and assistance was extended to all those who
died at the railway station surroundings, just behind
the Taj, including the “Pav-Bhaji” vendor and
the paan shop owners.
3. During the time that the hotel was closed, full
salaries were sent by money order to all employees
who were at home.
4. Ratan Tata personally visited the families of all the
80 employees who in some manner “either through
injury or getting killed“ were affected.
• Started India’s first chain of luxury hotels in 1902.
• Established first steel industry in 1907(started in
• India’s first industrial town, “JAMSHEDPUR” was
built in 1912.
• Introduced labour welfare benefits long before
they were enacted by law.
• Started first Power plant in India in 1910.
• Set up the first cement manufacturing company,
India Cement Company, in India in 1912.
• Set up first Indian bank, The Tata Industrial Bank,
in the country in 1917. It was later renamed as
Central Bank of India.
• Brought insurance to India: The New India
Assurance Company was formed in 1919.
• Led Commercial vechile production in 1945.
• Launched India's first passenger car: In December
1998, Tata Motors created history by giving India
its first indigenously designed, developed and
manufactured car, the Indica.
• Established the first Indian cosmetic company,
Lakme, at Jawaharlal Nehru’s request, in 1952.
By the above discussion it is very clear that the TATA
GROUP demonstrates the very high value based
business development activities which not only help
in the development of it’s diversified business
activities but also help in the overall development
and growth of it’s thousands of workers and their
quality of life and ultimately it contributes and
create very high standards in the value based
development and growth of the economic growth of