Primary Brain tumorsPrimary Brain tumors
• A tumor within theA tumor within the
brain that has formsbrain that has forms
in its original place.in its original place.
• But this tumors tendBut this tumors tend
to spread through outto spread through out
the body.the body.
Secondary Brain TumorSecondary Brain Tumor
• A tumor within the brain that has spread intoA tumor within the brain that has spread into
the brain from another part of the body.the brain from another part of the body.
• Cancer the ability to spread through out theCancer the ability to spread through out the
• The most second cancer likely to spread intoThe most second cancer likely to spread into
the brain are from the lung, breast, colon,the brain are from the lung, breast, colon,
kidney, and skin.kidney, and skin.
• Vomiting and nauseaVomiting and nausea
• Speech difficultiesSpeech difficulties
• Lack of coordinationLack of coordination
• Changes in visionChanges in vision
• Memory changesMemory changes
Diagnosis TestDiagnosis Test
• • Computed Tomography (CT)Computed Tomography (CT)
scan- Creates a cross-sectionalscan- Creates a cross-sectional
view of the brain using an X-rayview of the brain using an X-ray
camera that rotates around thecamera that rotates around the
• Magnetic Resonance ImagingMagnetic Resonance Imaging
(MRI)- Gives a picture of the brain(MRI)- Gives a picture of the brain
using a powerful magnet, a radiousing a powerful magnet, a radio
wave transmitter and computer.wave transmitter and computer.
• Lumbar Puncture (spinal tab)-Lumbar Puncture (spinal tab)-
Sample of spinal fluid is takenSample of spinal fluid is taken
from the lower back through afrom the lower back through a
Treatments for cancerTreatments for cancer
• Surgery- The first line of treatment forSurgery- The first line of treatment for
some benign and malignant.some benign and malignant.
• Radiation therapy- which are high-Radiation therapy- which are high-
powered rays to kill cancer cells whichpowered rays to kill cancer cells which
often used after surgery.often used after surgery.
• Chemotherapy- chemicals that areChemotherapy- chemicals that are
designed to poison tumor cells.designed to poison tumor cells.
• Males are mostMales are most
common to havecommon to have
brain cancer ratherbrain cancer rather
than females.than females.
Between the ages of 0Between the ages of 0
to 50 it is equalto 50 it is equal
between the gendersbetween the genders
and from ages 50 toand from ages 50 to
85 it is diagnosed85 it is diagnosed
greater in males.greater in males.
• • In races betweenIn races between
whites and blacks it iswhites and blacks it is
more likely to bemore likely to be
diagnosed in thediagnosed in the
white ethnicities.white ethnicities.
Work citedWork cited
• www.ask.com-www.ask.com- “where can I find brain“where can I find brain
cancer picture”cancer picture”