• The body or piece of land enclosed on three sides
by water, jutting out from a larger body of land
Lies to the south of
northern plains of
It was formed due
to the breaking and
drifting of the
Hence ,it is a part of
The oldest landmass
It is a tableland made up of old crystalline,
igneous and metamorphic rocks .
The plateau has broad and shallow valleys and
The peninsula plateau is flanked by the
Aravallis on the northwest, the Western Ghats
in the west and dissected Eastern Ghats in the
Peninsula plateau ranges in an elevation
from 100 metres in northern side to 1000
metres to the south.
Many rift valleys such as Narmada , Tapi,
Mahanadi, Godawari and Damodar have
been formed due to faulting and vertical
The Peninsula plateau is famous for
The Peninsula plateau is rich in
valuable minerals such as
THE CENTRAL HIGHLANDS
• The northern part of peninsula, north of the
vidhyas is known as central highlands.
the central highlands are bounded by aravali
range on northwest , Ganga plains on the
north and vindhya range on south.
The central highlands are wider in west but
narrower in the east.
The Malwa Plateau
forms the western part
of the central highlands
and comprises the entire
area between the Aravali
range in the northwest
and the vindhya range in
The area of malwa plateau is 81,767 sq.km.
Average height is about 500 metres.
The landscape slope downwards towards the
north and north east.
Bundelkhand is located to east of Malwa
Northern part of Bundelkhand almost lie in
The area is about 70,000 sq. km.
It is located to east of bundelkhand plateau.
Baghelkhand is a region of Central India in
northerneastern Madhya Pradesh and
adjacent southern part of Uttar Ptadesh.
• It houses tribals , dense forests and many wild
• The Kanha National Park is located in this area
• Chota Nagpur plateau is in eastern India which
covers much of Jharkhand.
• The total area is approximately 65,000 sq. km.
the southern part of the peninsula, south of
the vindhyas,is known as the Deccan plateau
• The deccan plateau is a large triangular
plateau in india, covering up the majority of
southern part of the country. It rises a
hundred metrs high in the north, rising further
to more than a kilometre high.
The climate of the region varies from- semi arid
rain in north to tropical in most of region with
distinct and dry season. Rainfalls during the
monsoon season from about june to october.
March to june can be very dry and hot with
temperatures exceeding 40 c regularly.
• The deccan plateau is rich in minerals.primary
mineral ores found in this region are mica,iron
ore ,gold and other matals.
• All river basins are good for agriculture. The
chief crop is cotton, however, sugarcane ,rice
and other crops are also common .
• Northwesten part of the deccan plateau which
is made up of lava flows.
• The western ghats are the western edge of
• They lie parallel to western coast.
• Its length is approximately 1600 km.
• Average elevation is about 1200 metres.
• The western ghats near the border of gujarat
and maharashtra, south of river tapi, and runs
through the states of maharashtra, tamil nadu
and kerala ending at kanyakumari at the
southern tip of india.
• The eastern ghats are the eastern edge of
• They lie parallel to eastern coast.