MBA (Sri J.), Dip.M (UK) MCIM (UK), Chartered Marketer, B.Sc. (Hons) IT
• I am a Chartered Marketer
• Have been a Digital Marketing Lecturer
since 2010 and a Marketing Lecturer since
• Currently I work for Toyota Lanka
• I am a part time Pro-Magician- “Knight of
Importance of Social Media
• Introduction to Social Media
• Why Social Media
• Comparison of Social Media Sites
• Q & A
Use #KOI on Twitter for any questions
What are Social Media Sites?
• Social media includes web- and mobile-
based technologies which are used to turn
communication into interactive dialogue
among organizations, communities, and
• A Medium which communicates User
Forms of Social Media
• Internet forums
• Social Networks
• Social Bookmarking
• 1.31 billion monthly active users
• Approximately 75% of monthly active users are outside the
• 680 million mobile users.
Every 20 Minutes on Facebook
Links shared 1 million
Friends requested 2 million
Messages sent 3 million
• 300 million monthly active users
• 20 million Unique Mobile monthly users
• Helps in Search Engine Optimisation (SEO)
• Ability to integrate with Google Maps,
YouTube, and other Google services
• Greater photo features
• More than 1 billion unique users visit YouTube each
• 2nd Largest search engine
• Over 6 billion hours of video are watched each month on
YouTube—that's almost an hour for every person on
• 100 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every
• 80% of YouTube traffic comes from outside the US
• YouTube is localized in 61 countries and across 61
• According to Nielsen, YouTube reaches more US adults
ages 18-34 than any cable network
A summary of this goal will be stated here that is clarifying and
• Users also find great value in connecting with businesses of
all kinds on Twitter to:
• Share their experiences, both good and not so good
• Provide feedback on recent events or launches
• Free sms subscription
• Real-time interaction
• Get customer service
• Total number of active registered Twitter usersTwitter Company Statistics
Total number of active registered Twitter users 645,750,000
Number of new Twitter users signing up everyday 135,000
Number of unique Twitter site visitors every month 190 million
Average number of tweets per day 58 million
Number of Twitter search engine queries every day 2.1 billion
Percent of Twitter users who use their phone to tweet 43 %
Any word beginning with the # sign. People use hashtags to organize conversations around a
specific topic. Clicking on a hashtag takes you to search results for that term.
A public Tweet directed to another user that includes their @username. Mentions are clickable
and link back to the mentioned individual’s profile.
A public response to a Tweet via the reply button. Replies show up in your home timeline and
the timeline of the person to whom you are responding to. You must follow both parties to see
the full conversation.
You can pass along someone’s Tweet by retweeting it. Just hit the Retweet button to send the
original message to all of your followers.
Twitter’s link-shortening feature allows you to paste a link of any length into a Tweet and it will
automatically be shortened.
•LinkedIn operates the world’s largest professional network on the Internet
with more than 300 million members in over 200 countries and territories.
•Professionals are signing up to join LinkedIn at a rate of more than two new
members per second.
•67% of LinkedIn members are located outside of the United States.
•More than 3 million companies have LinkedIn Company Pages.
•In the first quarter of 2014, mobile accounted for 43 percent of unique visiting
members to LinkedIn.
• This is the best place to campaign for
• LinkedIn being a professional network
helps in getting endorsements/
recommendations that can add value to
• Connections will show a possibility to get
introduced to potential business decision