What is HYPERLOOP?
• Hyperloop is a new mode of transport
• -Both fast and inexpensive for people and goods.
• -Open design concept
• -Consists of a low pressure tube with capsules that
are transported at both low and high speeds
throughout the length of the tube.
• Elevated system of transportation through a tube
• Idea proposed by Elon Musk, founder of Tesla and
• Simulations and model-building in progress 8
• Pods float on cushion of air through low-pressure
• Magnetic linear accelerators to accelerate pods
• Solar power to propel pods
• Simulation technology shows feasibility (Ansys
•Allows the capsule to traverse the relatively narrow tube
without choking flow that travels between the capsule and the
tube walls (resulting in a build-up of air mass in front of the
capsule and increasing the drag) by compressing air that is
bypassed through the capsule. Thus overcoming Kantrovitz
•Supplies air to air bearings that support the weight of the
capsule throughout the journey.
•Air bearing suspension.
•Offers stability and extremely low drag at a feasible cost by
exploiting the ambient atmosphere in the tube.
•5,500 lb (2,500 kg) of batteries to power the onboard
compressor and capsule systems in addition to the compressor
motor and coolant.
•Advanced linear motor system is being developed to accelerate
the capsule above1,220 kph)at a maximum of 1g for comfort.
•The moving motor element will be located on the vehicle for
weight savings and power requirements
•The tube will incorporate the stationary motor element
(stator) which powers the vehicle.
HYPERLOOP consists of a partially evacuated cylindrical tube
that connects the Los Angeles and San Francisco stations in a
closed loop System .
The tube is specifically sized for optimal air flow around the
capsule improving performance and energy consumption at
the expected travel speed.
The expected pressure inside the tube will be maintained
around 0.015psi (100 Pa, 0.75 torr), which is about 1/6 the
pressure on Mars.
Hyperloop was initially designed to travel between
Los Angeles and San Francisco in approximately 35 minutes
To avoid bend radii that would lead to uncomfortable
passenger inertial accelerations and hence limit velocity.
•Deviating from the current highway system,
• Earth removal,
•Constructing pylons to achieve elevation change
• Tunneling. 20
• Estimated cost of the Hyperloop vs. the California rail
598 mph $20 Passenger
164 mph $105 Passenger
• Marco Villa and Patricia Galloway guide the progress of
• Marco Villa- former director of mission operations at
• Patricia Galloway- former president of the American
Society of Civil Engineers
• JumpStartFund plans to help finance the Hyperloop
Benefits and Implications
• Drastically reduced commuting time
• Transition from living in major cities to suburbs
• Increased speed of business transactions
• Reduced need for telecommuting
Benefits and Implications
• Green technologies involved in Hyperloop powering
• Less cars on the road
• Less energy requirements
• Less air pollution
• Reduced emissions
of greenhouse gases
• . . Musk, Elon (August 12, 2013). "Hyperloop Alpha“
• . Generic proposal for evacuated tube transport Technology
(et3) high speed ground transportation System (hsgts) using
high temperature Superconductuve maglev (htsm) by et3
global alliance inc.
• . Open-Source Conceptual Sizing Models for the Hyperloop
Passenger Pod Je↵rey C. Chin, Justin S. Gray, Scott M. Jones,
Je↵rey J. BertonNASA Glenn Research Center, Cleveland, OH
• . "Beyond the hype of Hyperloop: An analysis of Elon
Musk's proposed transit system".Gizmag.com. August 22,
• . HYPERLOOP DESIGN REPORT Makers UPV Team Universitat
Polit`ecnica de Val`encia , Valencia - January 2016
•. Wilbrink, Joost. "SVT 137 153 Ff. Leipzig.“
Dbtrains.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Nov. 2013.
•. "Hyperloop in OpenMDAO". OpenMDAO. October 9,
2013. Retrieved October 9, 2013.
•. "HYPERLOOP:FIFTH MODE OF TRANSPORTATION".
Kayela, editor of scientific and technical department
•. "Hyperloop". SpaceX. Space Exploration Technologies.
Retrieved June 15, 2015.