Free Report Samples for our publication "Vietnam B2C E-Commerce Market 2017".
Find the full report available for purchase at: https://www.ystats.com/market-reports/vietnam-b2c-e-commerce-market-2017-2/
GENERAL METHODOLOGY OF MARKET REPORTS
Secondary Market Research
The reports are compiled based on secondary market research. Secondary research is information gathered from previously published sources. Our reports are
solely based on information and data acquired from national and international statistical offices, industry and trade associations, business reports, business and
company databases, journals, company registries, news portals and many other reliable sources. By using various sources we ensure maximum objectivity for
all obtained data. As a result, companies gain a precise and unbiased impression of the market situation.
Cross referencing of data is conducted in order to ensure validity and reliability.
The source of information and its release date are provided on every chart. It is possible that the information contained in one chart is derived from several
sources. If this is the case, all sources are mentioned on the chart.
The reports include mainly data from the last 12 months prior to the date of report publication. Exact publication dates are mentioned in every chart.
The reports take into account a broad definition of B2C E-Commerce, which might include mobile commerce. As definitions may vary among sources, exact
definition used by the source (if available) is included at the bottom of the chart.
Our reports include text charts, pie charts, bar charts, rankings, line graphs and tables. Every chart contains an Action Title, which summarizes the main
idea/finding of the chart and a Subtitle, which provides necessary information about the country, the topic, units or measures of currency, and the applicable time
period(s) to which the data refers. With respect to rankings, it is possible that the summation of all categories amounts to more than 100%. In this case, multiple
answers were possible, which is noted at the bottom of the chart.
Reports are comprised of the following elements, in the following order: Cover page, preface, legal notice, methodology, definitions, table of contents,
management summary (summarizing main information contained in each section of report) and report content (divided into sections and chapters). When
available, we also include forecasts in our report content. These forecasts are not our own; they are published by reliable sources. Within Global and Regional
reports, we include all major developed and emerging markets, ranked in order of importance by using evaluative criteria such as sales figures.
Notes and Currency Values
If available, additional information about the data collection, for example the time of survey and number of people surveyed, is provided in the form of a note. In
some cases, the note (also) contains additional information needed to fully understand the contents of the respective data.
When providing information about amounts of money, local currencies are most often used. When referencing currency values in the Action Title, the EUR
values are also provided in brackets. The conversions are always made using the average currency exchange rate for the respective time period. Should the
currency figure be in the future, the average exchange rate of the past 12 months is used.
METHODOLOGY OF THE CURRENT REPORT
This report covers the retail E-Commerce market in Vietnam.
It includes relevant information about international comparisons, market trends, E-Commerce sales and shares, Internet users and shoppers, products, payment
methods, delivery and players.
The report starts with an overview of the E-Commerce market and international comparisons, where the relevant country is compared to other countries in the
region in terms of criteria relevant to retail E-Commerce, such as sales, Internet and online shopper penetration.
Next, the “Trends” section includes an overview of market trends, such as M-Commerce and social commerce.
The section “Sales & Shares” covers the development of retail E-Commerce sales and E-Commerce’s share of total retail sales.
In the “Users & Shoppers” section, information about Internet penetration and online shoppers is included.
Afterwards, the section “Products” shows the leading product categories purchased online.
The next section, “Delivery”, covers information related to delivery in online shopping.
Furthermore, the “Payment” section covers the payment methods most used by online shoppers.
Finally, the “Players” section includes information about the leading E-Commerce companies, including rankings of top online shopping platforms by website
visits, awareness and usage by online shoppers.
the sale of products (and services) through electronic transactions via the Internet from businesses to
consumers (B2C). A broader definition of retail E-Commerce applied by some sources also includes
consumer-to-consumer (C2C) sales.
M-Commerce, also called “Mobile Commerce”, means the sale of products (and services) through electronic
transactions via mobile devices, such as mobile phones, tablets and smartphones.
SOCIAL COMMERCE the sale of goods (and services) that involves the use of social media, such as social networks.
an approach to retail that strives to provide the customer with the seamless shopping experience across all
retail channels, such as in-store, online and mobile.
INTERNET USERS the total number of inhabitants in a certain country that regularly accesses the Internet.
ONLINE SHOPPERS the total number of inhabitants in a certain country or region that participates in B2C E-Commerce.
platforms where third-party merchants (B2C) or individuals (C2C) can sell their digital or physical products
online whereas the marketplace operator acts as an intermediary.
MARKETPLACE SELLERS individuals or businesses who use an E-Commerce marketplace as a platform to sell items to buyers.
GROSS MERCHANDISE VOLUME
abbreviated as GMV, a total value of successfully completed transactions between buyers and sellers on a
The following expressions and definitions are used in this market report*:
Note: *the definitions used by the original sources might differ from the ones stated on this chart; the exact definition used by each source, where available, is included on the respective
TABLE OF CONTENTS (1 OF 3)
1. Management Summary
2. Overview & International Comparisons
• Overview of B2C E-Commerce Market and International Comparisons, April 2017
• B2C E-Commerce Sales in Southeast Asia, by Country, incl. Vietnam, in USD million, 2015
• Total Retail Sales and Retail E-Commerce Sales in Southeast Asia, by Country, incl. Vietnam, in USD billion, 2016
• B2C E-Commerce Sales in Southeast Asia, by Country, incl. Vietnam, in USD billion, 2015 & 2025f
• B2C E-Commerce Share of Total Retail Sales in Southeast Asia, by Country, incl. Vietnam, in %, 2015 & 2025f
• Online Hotel and Airline Sales in Southeast Asia, by Country, incl. Vietnam, in USD billion and in % of Total Hotel and Airline Sales, 2015
& 2025f, and CAGR, in %, 2015-2025f
• Online Ride Sales in Southeast Asia, by Country, incl. Vietnam, in USD billion, 2015 & 2025f, and CAGR, in %, 2015-2025f
• Internet User Penetration, by Country, incl. Vietnam, in % of Individuals, 2015
• Average Fixed Internet Connection Speeds in Southeast Asia, by Country, incl. Vietnam, in MB per Second, Q2 2016
• Internet Users Growth in Southeast Asia, by Country, incl. Vietnam, in %, January 2017 Compared to January 2016
• Internet Users in Southeast Asia, by Country, incl. Vietnam, in millions, 2015 & 2020f
• Number of Internet Users Who Researched Products or Services Online, by Country, incl. Vietnam, in millions, 2015
• Top 10 E-Commerce Platforms Preferred for Online Shopping, by Rank, by Country, incl. Vietnam, 2015
• Overview of B2C E-Commerce Trends, April 2017
• Mobile 3G Connections, in millions, 2013 –2016
• Smartphone Users, in millions, and Penetration, in % of Population, 2015 – 2020f
• Devices Used for Online Shopping, in % of Online Shoppers, August 2016
• Share of Smartphone Users Who Bought a Product or Service Within an App, in %, and Share of Online Shopping Done Through Mobile
Apps, in %, June 2016
• Online Shopping Channels, incl. “Social Network”, in % of Online Shoppers, 2015
• Share of Online Shoppers who Have Used Facebook for Online Shopping, in %, July 2016
4. Sales & Shares
• B2C E-Commerce Sales, in USD million, and Share of Retail Sales, in %, 2011 & 2016e
• Retail E-Commerce Sales, in USD billion, 2016e & 2017f
TABLE OF CONTENTS (2 OF 3)
4. Sales & Shares (Cont.)
• E-Commerce Share of Total Retail Sales, in %, 2016e & 2020f
• B2C E-Commerce Sales, in USD billion, 2015 & 2025f
• B2C E-Commerce Share of Total Retail Sales, in %, 2015 & 2025f
5. Internet Users & Online Shoppers
• Internet Penetration, in % of Individuals, 2010 – 2015
• Number of Internet Users, in millions, 2011 & 2015
• Online Shopper Penetration, in % of Daily Internet Users, 2014 & 2015
• Barriers to Online Shopping, in % of Internet Users Who Do Not Shop Online, 2015
• Breakdown of Frequency for Online Shopping, in % of Online Shoppers, August 2016
• Breakdown of Online Spending per Purchase, in USD, in % of Online Shoppers, August 2016
• Product Categories Purchased Online, in % of Online Shoppers, 2015
• Product Categories Purchased Online, in % of Online Shoppers, August 2016
• Product Categories Purchased Online, in % of Online Shoppers, by Gender, Age Group and Total, July 2016
• Product Categories Purchased Online, in % of Online Shoppers, and Share of Online Shoppers Who Buy These Categories Online More
Frequently Than In-Store, in %, November 2016
• Online Travel Sales, in USD billion, 2015 & 2025f
• Payment Methods Used in E-Commerce, in % of Online Shoppers, 2014 & 2015
• Breakdown of Payment Methods Used in E-Commerce, in % Online Shoppers, August 2016
• Payment Methods Offered, in % of E-Commerce Companies, 2015
• Top 5 Online Payment Service Providers, in % of E-Commerce Companies Accepting Online Payment, 2015
• Breakdown of Forms of Delivery Services Used by E-Commerce Companies, in % of E-Commerce Companies, 2015
• Causes of Dissatisfaction when Shopping Online, in % of Online Shoppers, August 2016
TABLE OF CONTENTS (3 OF 3)
8. Delivery (Cont.)
• Delivery-Related Factors That Would Encourage Online Shoppers to Buy Online, in %, November 2016
• Overview of B2C E-Commerce Players, April 2017
• Breakdown of B2C E-Commerce Sales by Top 6 Players and Others, in %, 2015
• Breakdown of Websites Most Frequently Used for Shopping Online, in % of Online Shoppers, July 2016
• Awareness and Usage of Top 15 E-Commerce Websites, in % of Online Shoppers, August 2016
• Top 10 Local B2C E-Commerce Websites, by Website Visits, in millions, incl. Vietnam’s Share of Website Visits, in %, and Estimated
Number of Visits from Vietnam, in millions, February 2017
• Top 5 Local C2C E-Commerce Websites, by Website Visits, in millions, incl. Vietnam’s Share of Website Visits, in %, and Estimated
Number of Visits from Vietnam, in millions, February 2017
• Top 10 E-Commerce Apps, by Popularity, by B2C/B2CB2C and C2C, by Platform, March 2017
2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016*
77.9% of households in Malaysia had broadband Internet access
in 2016, an increase from 55.6% in 2010.
Malaysia: Internet Penetration, in % of Households, 2011 – 2016*
Note: *Q3 2016
Definition: household broadband penetration rate
Source: Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC), December 2016
Cash on Delivery
“Online transfer” (54%) was the payment method most preferred by
online shoppers in Malaysia in November 2016.
Malaysia: Breakdown of Payment Methods Preferred in Online Shopping, in % of Online Shoppers,
Note: according to the same survey, 90% of respondents who currently pay with cash on delivery were keen on trying other payment methods within the next 12 months
Survey: based on a nationwide survey of 3,507 respondents, of whom 83% shopped online, conducted in November 2016
Source: 11street, February 2017