Is it more money what really improves our motivation? Does higher salary make me more happy? If not, what then...? This presentation summarizes in a popular way the state of art of motivation and happiness research.
Let’s check current research Niemiec, Ryan, Deci (2009) The path taken: Consequences of attaining intrinsic and extrinsic aspirations in post-college life. Journal of Research in Personality, vol. 43(3), 291-306.
Goal of the research• To check the level of students attainment in three categories during studies (Time 1) and 1-2 years after graduation (Time 2)• To check their psychological health and social functioning at the end (Time 2) we call it happiness in this presentation
Two groupsof students Group 1: extrinsic aspirations (money, fame, and image) Group 2: intrinsic aspirations (personal growth, close relationships, community involvement, and physical health)
Intrinsic Deep and enduring relationship Helping others improve their livescategories Grow and learn new thingschecked Physical health
Extrinsiccategorieschecked Being wealthy person Being admired by many people Appealing image
Research conclusion• Attainment of the intrinsic aspirations for personal growth, close relationships, community involvement, and physical health related positively to basic psychological need satisfaction and psychological health• In contrast, attainment of the extrinsic aspirations for money, fame, and image was unrelated to basic psychological need satisfaction and related slightly negatively to psychological health
Research conclusion• Although people with extrinsic motivation achieved their goals (they become wealthy and admired), they weren’t happy• Moreover, they mentioned increased anxiety and depression although they achieved their goals!
One research is not enough to convince you? You are right!
Let’s bring other proofs, e.g.• Ariely, D. (2010): Predictably Irrational: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions, Harper Perennial.• Kasser, T., & Ryan, R. M. (1993). A dark side of the American dream: Correlates of financial success as a central life aspiration. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 65, 410–422.• Kasser, T., & Ryan, R. M. (1996). Further examining the American dream: Differential correlates of intrinsic and extrinsic goals. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 22, 280–287.
And few more …• Vansteenkiste, M., Neyrinck, B., Niemiec, C. P., Soenens, B., de Witte, H., & Van den Broeck, A. (2007). On the relations among work value orientations, psychological need satisfaction and job outcomes: A self-determination theory approach. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 80, 251–277.• Csikszentmihalyi: Beyond Boredom and Anxiety: Experiencing Flow in Work and Play, 25th anniversary edition, Jossey-Bass, 2000
So, is it really like this?Happiness = Extrinsic aspects
No Happiness Extrinsic aspectsIt’s just a false need generated by current society.
Let’s save your time hunting extrinsic aspects ;) After achieving quite low level of extrinsic aspects ourhappiness and psychological health is no more in correlation!
Happiness Known and lived purpose (known and followed intrinsic motivation)
• Think what you are good at, better than others Don’t worry there is always something ;)• Think about your intrinsic motivation and write it down Community involvement, service to others, personal growth, physical health, … Helping customers to solve their challenges and issues
• Find your “flow” moments (the moments you enjoy and forget about time) Try to recognize them Does it include the capabilities you are good at? Why not?• Try to reorganize your work environment to repeat flow moments and reduce no-flow moments Include also activities you are good at
• Create the room for mastering your favorite activity It should be also those you are good at Share the result of mastering with others!• Find and master also calming activity to decrease stress Music, art, sport, volunteering, massage, manual work, meditation, writing, children or retiree care, …
• No correspondence between those and your daily job?
• No correspondence between those and your daily job?• Change it!
• No correspondence between those and your daily job?• Change it!• Start the journey and make your hobby your job!