1. Helps You To Connect
• Form new and rekindle old connections
• Enhance the connections you make in the
office on a daily basis
• Creates an impression of accessibility
2. Reinforces Branding
• Share your style and your brand with a larger
• Gets the word out about your core values
• Shows how patients feel about you
• Brand reinforcement/repeated exposure
When NOT to Use Social Media
• If you don’t have the time to do it right
• If you plan to outsource 100%
• If you’re not a personable person
• If you don’t trust your team to participate
• If you don’t trust your patients to engage in a
Link to your practice page
Link Your Work to Your Practice Page
Using Your Personal Page For Business
• Personal pages can’t be used EXCLUSIVELY for
business – but some is okay!
• Trust factor among friends is high
• Celebrate important business moments
• Tag people to spread the reach
Choose Your Business
Name Wisely! Use
You can only change this ONCE!
Only 180 x 180 pixels – frame your logo
properly or it gets cut off
Solo Practice – Your Photo I Group Practice - Logo
• Add to your favorites so you see it when
logged in as personal profile
• Go to admin page
• Don’t forget to like
your own page!
Create Your Timeline Cover Photo
Include Website, Phone Number, Calls to Action
851 x 315 Pixels, 20% may be text
Next, Optimize Your Apps
• Maximum of 12 Apps, but 6-8 is best
• 4 standard apps
– Photos – always in the #1 position
• Move your apps to promote them
• Most app tabs will not appear on mobile
Add Free Apps
• Smile Reminder
• Demand Force
• 1-800 Dentist
• Rate a Dentist/Lighthouse
What’s the Magic Formula?
• 3 informative, educational posts – link to
articles, infographics, videos
• 1-2 promotional posts – contest, special offers
• 2-3 personal social posts
Perfect Post Length
Posts between 100 and 250 characters
(less than 3 lines of text) see 60% more likes,
comments and shares than posts greater
than 250 characters.
71 to 140 characters is the sweet spot.
– What was your favorite Christmas present?
– What did you dress as for Halloween?
• Team member of the month
– Favorite dental practice memory
– Last really good laugh and what was it about
– How do you spend your weekends?
• Get LOCAL! HS sports, 5K races, charity events
• Smile Quotes
• Special “Days”
– National Ice Cream Day
– Patient Day
– www.HolidayInsights.com (Bizarre & Unique Days)
• Financial Information
– Insurance participation/how to maximize
– Care Credit – links to apply
– Invisalign for only $230/month
• Charity Work
– Mission trips
– Battered women smile makeovers
– Fee extraction days
• Dental Emergencies
– Treating a knocked out tooth
– What to do with an abscess on the weekend
– Signs of an impacted wisdom tooth
• Classic Dental Videos
– Bill Cosby
– David at the Dentist
• Dental Anxiety
– Don’t make the kids nervous
– Breathing/relaxation techniques
– Sedation options
• TMJ Pain
– What causes it
– Signs and symptoms
– How to treat it
• Cancer and Dentistry
• Pregnancy and Dentistry
• Blog Posts – link to your website’s blog!
• Dental care for pets
• Patient comfort items
• Awards and accreditations
• Guess the celebrity smile
• Foods and recipes for healthy smiles
• New Tech
• Adding an Employee/Promotions
• New Office/Renovations
• Fun Photos/Behind the Scenes
• Tell Patients Why You Love What You Do!
A Note About Team Participation
• Make team admins but protect your
• Make sure they have their own social account
and friend/follower base
• Rotate duties for different perspectives
• 15 million business pages on Facebook
• Complex algorithms that help people see what
Your fans don’t see all your posts
• 96% of fans don’t go back to a brand’s page
after initial engagement
• An algorithm that measures:
– Affinity: how closely affiliated you are to that
follower. Interact more frequently with a patient,
get seen more often by that person.
– Weight of type of post: Photos, Videos, Text
– Time Decay: The older the post, the less valuable
• Only 16% of your fans will see any given post
Go Beyond Basic Text
• Photo albums - 180% more engagement
• Pictures – 120% more engagement
• Videos - 100% more engagement
Hubspot reports that “something as simple as a
smiley face emoticon in your post” can:
1. Increase likes by 57%
2. Increase comments by 33%
3. Increase shares by 32%
Take Your Best Guess
• Guess how many pounds of candy got turned in
during the candy buy back program? (Photo!)
• Guess how many smiles we have transformed?
• Guess how many patients we helped on our
Put a time limit on the game
so they know when a winner is announced.
Multiple right answers? Pick the first one.
Ask a Question
• If Dr. Winans’ life was a feature film, what
would it be? (kick start with an answer)
• Dr. Miller wants to sponsor a local charity –
which one should we help and why?
• True or False?
Write your question in a
“blank text” photo to get more
engagement and higher visibility
If money was not an
object, would you
prefer a white smile
or a straight smile?
Tell Me a Story…
• Tell a patient’s story in phases of treatment
– Motivation to come see you
– Life changing result
Don’t Leave Them Hanging!
• Respond immediately or same day
• Leave Facebook open – look for notifications
• Reply as doctor for clinical posts, team for
• Renovating Your Office?
– Show interior design boards & architectural plans
– Show construction
– Show the team putting the place back together
– Unveil the finished product with a photo gallery
• Talk up continuing education trips
Team Can Share CE Trips on Personal Pages
Tag Your Co-Workers!
• Incentive requires that you like the page
• Complete a contest entry form
• Require an email address and use for email
• Offer additional contest entries for sharing
(SEO Benefit!), or shares that become entries
What Incentives Generate Likes?
Contests without Apps
• Now legal to run contests for likes and
comments without an app
• Free “pick your winner” tool on WooBox.com
• Login with Facebook account
• Choose your page
• Pick your winner at random
Promote Your Contest
• Post 2-3x/week with a link to the app
• Ask people what they will do with the prize
• Give people a countdown to the drawing date
• Announce the winner
• Post a photo of the winner collecting their prize
• Highlight your post - Stretch it across the width of
• Highlight your promotion on your website
• Add a link in your e-newsletter
• Create a custom cover image
• Pin it to the top of your page for 7 days
Target Age Range
Set Your Budget
• Promoting posts with a paid ad increases
organic and viral reach, but reduces click
• Paid ads are used for promotional content.
Naturally gets less result.
• Best for brand awareness, not engagement.
Upload as many photo options as available.
These are used to test response.
1. Write the ad. 2. Choose placement. 3. Check your work.
• Easy way to group, discover and follow
• Simply type in the search bar to find all posts
Hashtags are not only less likely to go viral, but also
make people less likely to engage with the content
• 15,000 fans of:
– “This is not Twitter. Hashtags don’t work here.”
Google+ is Growing Fast
• Started in June 2011
• Over 500 Million active users
• Second largest social media site in the world
• On track to overtake Facebook in 2 years
• 68% male/32% female
New to Google+?
• Create your personal Google+ account first
• Google will suggest people to add to your
• These circles
Visit “Create a Page” on Google+
Choose Local Business or Place
Google will ask for your business name or phone
number and tie it to your Google Places profile
Complete the Profile
• Add your tagline (10 words) and profile photo
• Click “Finish” (Do not share just yet)
• Complete your profile
– Hours, Website & Contact Info
– Add “Recommended Links” to other social media
pages – FB, Tw, Blog
– Upload 5 images to your photo strip
Promote Your Page
• Post, post, post – just like Facebook
• Choose who sees the posts or make “Public”
You Can’t Do This On Facebook!
• You can follow your page’s fans back and add
them to your circles
• Drag them into one of 4 circles
– Team Members (internal communication)
– VIP’s (special bus. partners, most loyal patients)
– Customers (send special promotions!)
– Following (don’t know you, but you’re interesting)
• Or, create new circles
• Longer posts do better here
• Format your text
– BOLD *this* becomes this
– ITALICS _this_ becomes this
• Upload two photos, ask followers to +1 the
image they like best (Similar to FB Likes)
Facebook engagement = Google+ engagement
Contests on Google+
“You may not run contests, sweepstakes, or
other such promotions directly on Google+
or in a manner that requires use
of G+ features or functionality.”
However, you CAN link
to promotions hosted elsewhere
• Created March 2006
• 1 Billion tweets a week
• 288 Million monthly active users
• 10 tweets a second mention Starbucks
• Fastest growing demographic is 55-64 year olds
• 140 characters or less (including links!)
• Extremely mobile audience – 60%
• You must be responsive – Twitter moves FAST
• Post daily if you can
• The more people your audience follows, the less
likely they will see your post
Tweets and Engagement
• Blog Posts
• Newsletter Links
• Facebook Posts
• If you post it on Facebook, tweet it on Twitter
• If you like a tweet you can retweet it (similar
to FB sharing) Now everyone in your list can
• Use hastags (often overused) – use for the
topic – makes it searchable
• See what hashtags are trending
Answer a Series of FAQ’s
• How do I brush a baby’s teeth?
• How do I floss properly?
• Do I have an abscess?
• What is a one appointment crown?
• What should I do when a tooth gets knocked out?
Create Your Boards
• Whitening Cases
• Smile Rejuvenation
• Celebrity Smiles
• Charity Work/Mission Trips
• Pick a theme and stay with it
The Value of Blogging
• Shows Google your site is active
• SEO value – Google rewards fresh content
• Creates opportunities for social media links
• Highlight important cases
• Tell a patient’s story
• Premiere new technology
• Show videos
• Share testimonials
• Share life outside of the office
Think About Patient Pain Points
Don’t Hide the Negative Build Your Blogs By Being Direct!
Overcoming Bloggers Block
• Set Google alerts for topics related to
• Keeps your blogs fresh and relevant to current
national and local news
• Check out the competition in another city
• Make a list of topics a year in advance
• Google “Dental Infographics” – FULL of ideas!
• Add personal non-dental stories
Need Topic Inspiration?
• Apply These 5 Secret Techniques To Improve Teeth Whitening
• Teeth Whitening Doesn't Have To Be Hard. Read These 5 Tips
• Knowing These 5 Secrets Will Make Your Teeth Whitening
• My Life, My Job, My Career: How 5 Simple Teeth Whitening
Helped Me Succeed
• Take Advantage Of Teeth Whitening - Read These 5 Tips
• The Next 5 Things You Should Do For Teeth Whitening
• The 5 Best Things About Teeth Whitening
• The 5 Biggest Teeth Whitening Mistakes You Can Easily Avoid
Get Inspiration From
Effective Blogging Techniques
• Blog on a regular basis for Google to
continuously index your site.
• Length: minimum of 500 words to ensure that
there is sufficient content to be indexed. Most
bloggers target to write 750 words.
• One topic at a time for proper indexing
• Use relevant keyword phrases.
• Avoid repeating phrases or risk penalties. Use
• Use interesting images for your blog.
• Designate an employee to proof and edit prior
• Add a call to action at the end of each blog
• Load times matter to Google!
• Upload images to Smush.it, compress,
• Smaller file size, same quality photo
• Link back to your website
• Talk up to patients
• Promote with feed on main page
• Use it for e-newsletter content and link back into
• Push out to social media – use a snippet, photo
Think Reviews Don’t Matter?
• 75% of reviews posted on review websites are
• 95% of unhappy customers will return if an
issue is resolved quickly and efficiently.
• 71% agree that consumer reviews make them
more comfortable that they are buying the
• 70% of people consult reviews/ratings before
• People are 63% more likely to purchase a
product from a site if it has product ratings
• Customer reviews create a 74% increase in
1. Login to your G+ account or create one
2. Search for the business / doctor name
3. Click on the listing to go to the G+ page
4. Click on “write a review”
5. Rate 1 to 5 stars
6. Add your comments
1. Call the patient, solve their problem and ask
them to remove the review.
2. Write a public response to the review
3. Get 10x as many positive reviews published
4. If not your patient, ask Google to remove it