DESIGN FUNDAMENTALS de Beaufort
ASSIGNMENT: Fictional Book Cover PART2
In this assignment you must create an actual book cover for your fictional book to
be placed on a hardcover book with a front image, spine, back image, and side
flaps. Please use the design you created for part 1, but change it according to the
feedback you received in class. In some cases you might start over or make
First find the dimensions of the cover by creating a fake cover out of scrap paper
in the design room. Once you have mapped the dimensions and measurements,
then create a file in photo-shop (300dpi) that corresponds to those dimensions.
Use the guides to demarcate front, spine, and flaps.
1. You must make 2 alternate designs each with slightly different composition and a
different color palette.
2. You must use the color scheme designer to create the color palette for each book-
however-if the color palette is very minimal then you might not need to.
3. You may use clip art (copyright free), or photographs- but only if they are from
FLICKR Creative Commons and are licensed for use.
4. COVER: TITLE, AUTHOR, TAGLINE (optional).
5. SPINE: TITLE, AUTHOR'S LAST NAME, PUBLISHER
6. BACK: PRICE, SUMMARY OR TESTIMONIAL, ISBN or BARCODE, PUBLISHER
7. INNER SLEEVES (optional): AUTHORS BIOGRAPHY and/or
SOME THINGS TO KEEP IN MIND:
Your Cover Should:
1. Fall within the norms for your genre but visually stand out among other books.
2. Appeal to readers and convince them to take a closer look at your book with a
strong visual presence.
3. Reflect the content of your book and expose readers to your writing style.
4. Convince a potential reader to invest in a literary journey with your story.