WHAT IS MASSIVE OPEN
IT IS WEB CREATED TO MAKE THE PROCCES OF TEACHING AND
LEARNING MORE EFFECTIVE BY USING DIFFERENT RESOURCES SUCH
AS VIDEOS, READINGS AND PROBLEM SETS . MOOCS FOR SHORT
PROVIDE INTERECTIVE USE THAT HELP TO BUILD COMMUNITY FOR
STUDENTS AND TEACHERS.
HISTORY OF MOOC
• Even before computers were developed, many teachers were working
with educating citizens through informal education programs, that’s
when MOOC used developed education movement which helps to
broaden access to the learning and teaching offered through formal
• XMOOCS, are video-based specifically were one has to measure short targeted videos, rather
than full lesson length ones, with feedback provided via automated testing, they figured
automated testing is going to be for some things specifically where one have to measure
learning outcomes but the feedback could at times, be an issue. The level of design
forethought, expertise and pedagogy has to be high to give good, targeted feedback that as
responsive and reflective as that got from instructors.
• cMOOCs are the connect model, they are not teacher based but network based. Students
connect with one another and engage in a process of social meaning creation. Learning goals
and objectives are not prescriptively defined and students navigate their own way through
the coursework. Exploration and communication are key and testing and assessment are
difficult to challenge students’ creativity.
CHARACTERISTICS OF MOOC
• MOOC doesn’t have any hidden costs, its absolutely free of charge. It
can be used to variety of social media and online tools and it also
requires no formal entry to be able to participate and have some
related discussions in it. Its virtual learning environment is not
necessary the center of the course.
THE BENEFITS OF MOOC
• To support lifelong learning or gain an understanding of the subject
matter, with no particular expectations for
• completion or achievement,
• • For fun, entertainment, social experience and intellectual stimulation,
• • Convenience, often in conjunction with barriers to traditional education
• • To experience or explore online education.
MOOCs are designed to enhance student engagement as improving student outcomes is one of
the primary goals. According to Trowler and Trowler (2010), Student engagement is the
investment of time, effort, and other relevant resources by both students and their institutions
intended to optimize the student experience and enhance the learning outcomes and
development of students, and the performance and reputation of the institution. (p. 2) Student
and instructor participation, motivation, instructional method, and delivery are all important
aspects necessary to create a MOOC environment conducive to learning. MOOC educators
play a vital role in enhancing student engagement. One of the biggest challenges of MOOCs is
the assessment of student performance (Rodriguez, 2012)
HOW CAN I USE MOOC IN MY FIELD OF
• I am a Future life science Teacher so MOOC would be a very effective
online way of teaching my learners, simply because I can be able to
post or create some group discussions so that learners can discuss
and sometimes take notes from it.
• While doing this, my learners will get used to use the computer and
that will help them not to have problems in their first year of university.
• After each and every chapter I would post the lesson outcomes to enable
leaners to be aware of what is expected from to know after each and every
• Learners will be able to discuss some ideas themselves which this will result
in them understanding better.
• MOOCs is a very important education tool that I can advice all
teachers to get engaged with since it would help the process of
teaching and learning much easier. As I have discussed the benefits
of MOOC, and since its so simple to join teachers won’t have any
problems in using it.
• Trowler, V. & Trowler, P. (2010). Student engagement executive summary. The Higher Education
Academy. Retrieved from http://eprints.lancs.ac.uk/61684/1/
• Rodriguez, C. O. (2012). MOOCs and the AI-Stanford like courses: Two successful and distinct course
formats for massive open online courses. European Journal of Open, Distance and E-Learning. Retrieved