Transformed: from the inside out (Part 2)


Published on

We're doing a 3-week teaching series @ Arise entitled, "Transformed: from the inside out." Here is part/week 2.

Published in: Spiritual, Technology
  • Be the first to comment

No Downloads
Total views
On SlideShare
From Embeds
Number of Embeds
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Transformed: from the inside out (Part 2)

  1. 1. Transformed Part 2 Rev. Samuel Robles Jr., M.Div. July 12, 2009
  2. 2. Transformers: More than meets the eye
  3. 3. Romans 12:1-2 So here's what I want you to do, God helping you: Take your everyday, ordinary life—your sleeping, eating, going-to-work, and walking-around life—and place it before God as an offering. Embracing what God does for you is the best thing you can do for him. Don't become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You'll be changed from the inside out. Readily recognize what he wants from you, and quickly respond to it. Unlike the culture around you, always dragging you down to its level of immaturity, God brings the best out of you, develops well-formed maturity in you. - The Message
  4. 4. Where we last left off…  Romans 7:15  “I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.” NIV  Struggling with sin:  Those visible, such as stealing, adultery  Those invisible, such as anger, covet  Romans 7:24  “Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God-through Jesus Christ our Lord!” NIV
  5. 5. 2 Corinthians 3:12-18 With that kind of hope to excite us, nothing holds us back. Unlike Moses, we have nothing to hide. Everything is out in the open with us. He wore a veil so the children of Israel wouldn't notice that the glory was fading away ム and they didn't notice. They didn't notice it then and they don't notice it now, don't notice that there's nothing left behind that veil. Even today when the proclamations of that old, bankrupt government are read out, they can't see through it. Only Christ can get rid of the veil so they can see for themselves that there's nothing there.
  6. 6. 2 Corinthians 3:12-18 Whenever, though, they turn to face God as Moses did, God removes the veil and there they are ム face-to- face! They suddenly recognize that God is a living, personal presence, not a piece of chiseled stone. And when God is personally present, a living Spirit, that old, constricting legislation is recognized as obsolete. We're free of it! All of us! Nothing between us and God, our faces shining with the brightness of his face. And so we are transfigured much like the Messiah, our lives gradually becoming brighter and more beautiful as God enters our lives and we become like him. - The Message
  7. 7. The city of Corinth
  8. 8. The city of Corinth  Large population/Diverse population.  People from different social backgrounds/cultures.  Like most ancient ports, it had a reputation for sexual immorality.  It was the “Las Vegas” of the ancient world!  They were real people with real issues.  Overall, they struggled to become the church God had called them to be.  Paul would tell them what to do and what not to do.
  9. 9. The veil  It is a covering, usually some type of cloth  Worn by women (Song of Songs 4:1)  Covering the entrance to the Holy of Holies in the Temple.  The veil tore at Jesus’ death (Matt. 27:51; Mark 15:38; Luke 23:45)
  10. 10. The veil, cont’d  Moses wore a veil (Exodus 34:29-35)  Spiritual blindness for being bound to the old ways.  “Only Christ can get rid of the veil…”
  11. 11. “face-to-face”  Remove what is in between us/you and God.  “God is a living, personal presence…”  We achieve freedom and liberation.
  12. 12. Transformed  In this new, transformed life, one has “new eyes” to see.  Being “unveiled” allows us/you to reflect God’s glory.  Isaiah 60:1  "Arise, shine, for your light has come, and the glory of the LORD rises upon you.” NIV  God enters our lives/your life, and we gradually become more like Him.
  13. 13. Math time!  There are 7 days in a week, right?  Sunday is only 1 day of the week = approx.14% of the week  That leaves 6 days in the week (Monday thru Saturday) = approx. 86% of the week
  14. 14. Math time application!  So if we come to worship on Sunday morning (14% of your week), what’s happening during the remaining 86% of your week (Monday thru Saturday)?  Transformation requires 100%!  We need to be constantly transforming, constantly changing “from the inside out.”
  15. 15. 7 days make one week 7 days without God makes one weak