Why use Digital Scrapbook Projects ?
Beyond the fact that making scrapbooks is a proven activity
which interests young people, teachers have discovered that in
creating scrapbook projects students….
• can gain a sense of time perspective and history by collecting
and preserving images and ideas;
• practice organizational skills by the sorting process required
in dealing with the technology used in digital scrapbooking;
• can use visual images to express similarities and differences
in areas where their language skills may not be as developed as
their thinking skills.;
• get experience in following directions through multi-phase
projects which encourage involvement and creativity;
• with different interest and ability levels can work on the same
Digital Scrapbooking Projects across the Curriculum
Educators assign scrapbooks in the different content areas for different
•Digital scrapbooks might be used as a simple repository from the
research phase of a topic under study. The scrapbook then becomes a
presentation format used for sharing student-gathered information.
•Even kindergarten students can learn to add digital embellishments to a
scrapbook page to create an alphabet book, a family tree, or a favorite
• High school students can access numerous online resources about
Shakespearian plays to create a class digital scrapbook about the well-
known characters while reading a play.
• Middle school students can create “A Page from History” scrapbook
that illustrates a particular time period in a social studies unit.