WSO2 Product Release Webinar
Enterprise Service Bus 4.8.0
• Providing the only complete open source componentized cloud platform
Dedicated to removing all the stumbling blocks to enterprise agility
Enabling you to focus on business logic and business value
• Recognized by leading analyst firms as visionaries and leaders
Gartner cites WSO2 as visionaries in all 3 categories of application
Forrester places WSO2 in top 2 for API Management
• Global corporation with offices in USA, UK & Sri Lanka
200+ employees and growing
• Business model of selling comprehensive support & maintenance for our products
• Background on Enterprise Service Bus and SOA
• Capabilities of the WSO2 ESB
• Functional components of WSO2 ESB
• What’s new in WSO2 ESB 4.8.0
• Message Store/Message Processor Improvements
• JSON Improvements
• New Mediators: Call, Respond and Loopback.
• Other Improvements
Background - The Modern Enterprise
• Dynamic/diverse business requirements
• No single vendor or solution
• Legacy systems?
• Can’t get rid of them
• Cloud APIs
ESB as the Integration Bus
• Clean, lean and mean.
• A lightweight, high performance ESB
• Configuration driven over coding
• Feature rich and standards compliant
– SOAP and WS-* standards
– REST support
– Domain specific protocol support (eg: FIX, HL7)
• Supports all EIP Patterns
• User friendly and highly extensible
• 100% free and open source with commercial support
• A chain of mediators
• Messages are sent through all the
mediators in the sequence, in the order
• A logical entity to which messages can be sent from
– A service endpoint reference (EPR)
– A JMS queue
– A FIX session
• Various operational and QoS constraints can be
engaged on an endpoint
– SOAP version
New in WSO2 ESB 4.8.0
2. Message Store/Message Processor Improvements
3. JSON Improvements
4. New Mediators: Call, Respond and Loopback.
5. Other Improvements
● A connector is a ready made and convenient tool
to reach publicly available Web API’s.
● Connectors allow rapid and easy integration of
different APIs to meet business needs.
● ESB 4.8.0 introduces the first five connectors:
○ Google Documents
● Many more connectors coming soon!
Sample Connector Use Case
● Opportunity Management: SalesForce + Google
Sample Connector Config
● Searching for tweets.
● Basic flow:
○ init operation - can be stored as local entry.
○ Connector operation.
● Dynamic tooling support with Dev Studio
● Connector Architecture
○ Based on Synapse Templates and Mediation
○ Diverse API’s (REST, SOAP, SDK)
○ Tooling with Dev Studio
● Connectors hosted on GitHub:
● Anyone can create and share their own connector
Message Store/Processor Improvements
● Stabilization of MSMP to cater guaranteed
delivery and rate matching scenarios.
● RESTful message support with guaranteed
● Message Forwarding Processor now supports
● Message processors now persist
Message Store/Processor Improvements
● Forwarding Processor
○ Separate intervals for message
consumption and retrying messages.
● Multiple message processors per message
● Support for applying security policies to
incoming and outgoing messages.
● Streaming JSON Builder/Formatter as default.
● Staxon library
● Works without intermediary conversion to XML
● JSON Path support for Switch, Filter, Property and
● Payload Factory supports mixing XPath and JSON
New Mediator: Call
● Call Mediator
○ Changes the way we think of service
○ Works like callout mediator over non-blocking
○ Calls backend service and on response,
continues mediation flow following call
○ More intuitive service chaining.
New Mediators: Respond & Loopback
● Two mediators useful during development and
○ Immediate response to client sending current
message in Message Context.
○ Move mediation flow to beginning of out flow.
● VFS Throttling
● New Secure Vault
○ wso2:vault-lookup function. No hardcoded
secrets or passwords in ESB configs
● Streaming XPath stabilization
● SSL certificate support for VFS FTPS
● MQTT Support (Experimental Feature)
● Over 300 JIRA Issues Resolved!
Engage with WSO2
● Helping you get the most out of your deployments
● From project evaluation and inception to
development and going into production, WSO2 is
your partner in ensuring 100% project success