a global computer network providing a variety of information and
communication facilities, consisting of interconnected networks using
standardized communication protocols.
Domain names and IP
• A Domain name is what you type in to navigate to
• The IP address is the ‘real’ address and it made
up of numbers and dots for example
• We use domain names instead of IP addresses
when finding a website as for most people it is
easier to remember words instead of a
combination of numbers and dots.
Data Packets and
• A packet is a basic form of communication over a
digital network it is also called a datagram, a
segment, a block, a cell or a frame. It travels along
a given network path.
• Packet switching is a type of data transmission
where the data is split into a number of parts
which are sent individually and put back together
when it reaches the destination.
The function of routers
• Routers determine where information should be
sent from one computer to another.
• They send your information and messages
through thousands of pathways to their
• They also make sure information doesn’t go
somewhere it isn’t needed and makes sure it does
go to the right place.