What is Metadata?
Metadata is information that describes, classifies or identifies a piece of
information. Metadata is typically described as a set of attributes that help to
describe or classify an object.
This is Metadata…
Advanced Metadata – Synonyms
Blue = Bleu = Blau =
Each of these terms point to the same concept…
Advanced Metadata - Hierarchies
New York Albany
What is a Taxonomy?
The science dealing with the
description, identification, naming,
and classification of organisms.
A classification into ordered
Why is Metadata Important?
Identification of unique records
Aggregating content based on common attributes or types
Search indexes metadata
Security and permissions
Workflow and Document Lifecycle
Taxonomy Tools in SharePoint…Which Ones Do We Use?
• Reusable collection of settings that you want to apply to a certain category of content
• Content types are “inherited”
• Content type defines:
• New, edit and display forms
• Document template
• Content types are scoped to a site and then available to sub-sites and child lists
• Updating content types push changes down to the children
• Content types drive information management policies for retention and document routing
• Content types live in Site Collections but can be syndicated
• Can be added to Lists, Document Libraries or Content Types
• Site columns scoped to a site and then available to sub-sites and child lists
• Site Column type can be Managed Metadata
• Collections of centrally managed terms (term sets)
• Shared across site collections and web applications
• Terms Sets are:
• Hierarchical sets of terms
• Local to Site Collection or global
• Open (users can add terms) or Closed (users cannot add terms)
• Terms support synonyms
• Enterprise keywords used for folksonomy
Create Review Revise Publish