Infrastruttura Scalabile Per Applicazioni Aziendali Sun Microsystems - Virtualise with Confidence
for business applications
Walter Moriconi - Sun Microsystems
• Efficient Infrastructure by Sun and AMD
• Virtualize with Confidence -
from desktop to disk
• Scalable infrastructure for
Agenda business applications
• Next Steps
Sun Confidential: Internal Only 2
• Allows disparate systems to be pooled
and managed as a common
• Applications in the grid are being
served by many computers in parallel
at the same time.
• Can deliver significant cost savings.
• Can boost the quality and flexibility of
your IT services.
The question is: Do you have the right infrastructure in
place to take full advantage of grid computing?
„Scale out“ with Oracle Grid
Oracle Real Application Clusters (RAC) is
Oracle's core technology to offer grid
computing in the database tier.
• RAC enables a database to run in parallel
on distributed servers.
• Provide continuous uptime for database
• "Scale out" by adding new servers as
additional capacity is needed.
Faced with new Challenges
“Scale out” may lead to a server sprawl in the
• Increasing amount of servers to integrate into
the data center, to monitor and to maintain.
• Increasing amount of Operating Systems to
install and to maintain.
• Free capacity is fragmented into small pieces
across many servers and different RAC. Thus
more difficult to use.
Adding capacity: How long does it take to order the new server, integrate
it into the infrastructure, install the OS, install Oracle software and finally
configure as new cluster node ??
Utilization within the Server Sprawl
16% • Dedicated capacity silos
• Not balancing across RACs
• Spare capacity fragmented into smaller pieces
• Poor overall utilization
• Bottleneck hot-spots
Solaris 10 Container
• OS Virtualization
> One single OS installation
Appl.Srv. > Multiple runtime environments, appear
as “regular” Solaris OS to applications
Container Container Container
OS • Flexible, software-defined boundaries
> “Can't see outside zone”
> “Can't affect activity outside zone”
Server • Simple isolation
> Network, disks, memory, CPU,
• Each Container has it's own identity
What is a Solaris 10 Container ?
It is NOT an additional OS installation. But it is a separated runtime environment, within an
existing Solaris 10 OS installation.
Analogy with Databases: One single RDBMS installation, providing multiple separated
Data center reliability
The Sun Fire X4600 M2 server is designed with
• Option to “scale up”:
> 2 - 8 AMD Opteron CPUs (8 - 32 Cores)
> 512 GB Memory
> 8 PCI Slots, two PCIe + one PCI-X
• Redundant and hot-swappable power
supplies, fans and disks.
• Service Processor for remote system
administration. A complete implementation
of ILOM is included at no additional cost.
Bringing the pieces together ...
Fault tolerance and "scale out" with
App Reliability, availability and serviceability
Container Container Container
with Sun Enterprise Servers
Consolidation with Solaris 10 Containers
The Adaptive Oracle Grid
Assuring Service Levels 'in Realtime'
Advantage for the "Adaptive Oracle Grid"
• Availability: Leveraging Oracle RAC on Sun Enterprise Servers designed for 24x7 mission critical
computing to eliminate service outages.
• Online maintenance: Benefit from the high-end features of Sun Enterprise Servers. Maintain
CPU, memory and IO while the system continues to operate.
• Live upgrade: Upgrade and maintain the Solaris OS online using "Solaris Live Upgrade" and
reduce the planned downtime to just one server reboot.
• Usability: Any free server capacity in the grid is available to any RAC system at any point in time.
• Efficiency: Free spare capacity in the grid is pooled in larger blocks on just few serves and will be
used effectively to support peak utilizations.
• Self-balancing: Each container gets a guaranteed amount of CPU capacity. Additional capacity
demands will not be blocked, as long as free server capacity is available. That is a win-win
situation for every database.
• Scalability: Nearly unlimited scalability with the "scale-up" of Sun Enterprise high-end servers and
the "scale-out" of Oracle RAC.
• Speed-up: As Solaris Container are not new OS installations, you can provide several new
(virtual) cluster nodes just in few minutes.
• Managebility: No sprawl of servers and OS installation. Even largest landscapes can be made of
few servers and the same few amount of Solaris installations.
Powerful and efficient Server Systems
Memory Eliminate IO
Flash DIMMs Bottlenecks
Flash Acceleration is key
Server I/O 6-core AMD Opteron Processors
CPU Near linear scaling to 4P ad 8P with
Integrated Memory Controller and HT Assist
Memory → 3.000.000 IOPS (4P)
Flash DIMMs Sun Storage F5100 Flash Array
→ 1.400.000 IOPS
Sun Storage F5100 Capacity
1.92 TB, 5 GB DRAM
Performance and Efficiency Performance
● 1.4 M IOPS read (4K)
● 1.2 M IOPS write (4K)
● Read Latency 0.2 ms
● Write Latency 0.4 ms
● Hot-swap redundant
power and fans
● Super CAP Cache Backup
● 3M MTBF hours
The Database Sweet Spot: Indexes
• Typical Oracle I/O access
> 8K on 4K alligned blocks
> 10-15 ms latency per I/O
> Sequentially blocking
• Moving Indexes to
Lightning Flash Indexes Tables Redo Logs
lower latency to
Source: SunWIN #567882
Real Life Example
Order Entry OLTP System
Half service time
at 2500 TPM
Average Transaction 36% more TPMs at
● 8 Writes / 25 Reads 0.4s fix service
● 50% index access time
● 50% table access
Sun Storage 7000 Unified Storage Systems
Bringing Simplicity to Database Storage
Oracle Validated Configurations: Oracle Database 11g Release 1
Single Instance and Oracle Real Application Clusters (RAC) and Oracle VM
Powered by Performance!
● Sun Storage
● Sun Storage 7410 Cluster**
7310 Cluster** ● 64 GB, 128 GB, and 256
● Sun Storage ● 16 GB (up to 64 GB) GB options per controller
7210 ● Up to 288 TB
●Sun Storage ● 32 GB and 64 GB options
● Up to 96 TB ● Includes cluster software
● Hybrid Storage Pool I/O
7110 ● Up to 142 TB Acceleration
● Hybrid Storage Pool I/O
● Up to 14x300GB SAS 10K- ● Hybrid Storage Pool I/O
● Read/Write Flash/SSD ● Read/Write Flash/SSD
rpm Drives Acceleration options for higher options for higher
● Up to 4 TB ● Write Flash/SSD options performance performance
● 8 GB RAM for higher performance
● 2RU package
Provides support for unified file and block data protocols,
including a rich set of data services
Sun Oracle Database Machine
Solves I/O Bottlenecks by
• Adding more pipes – Massively parallel architecture
• Make the pipes wider – 5X faster than conventional storage
• Ship less data through the pipes – Process data in storage
• Simplify the storage offering – eliminate the need of a SAN
• Allow for Ease of Growth
• Provide a Flash Cache for Rapid Response