Trends in cultural
partnerships: GLAM-Wiki at 10
Liam Wyatt / @Wittylama
University of Sydney
Vol. 9, No. 3 (2018). Wikipedia, Libraries and Archives. Eds.
Luigi Catalani & Pierluigi Feliciati
• “Stepping Beyond Libraries: The Changing Orientation in
Global GLAM-Wiki” by Stinson, Fauconnier, Wyatt
• “ARL Whitepaper on Wikidata
opportunities & recommendations”
18 April, 2019. Allison-Cassin et al.
• Often a start local community external collaborations.
Pride, legitimacy, focus.
• “We’re doing the same thing, for the same reason, for
the same people, often in the same medium. Let’s do
• Digital visitors are still visitors. The rights to access
culture is not only for those who can access in-
Australian War Memorial, Canberra. 2009
Which led to…
And many many more…
GLAM has matured in Western Europe/North America to the extent
that institutions themselves are increasing taking direct ownership.
Our “pitch” has changed. Wikipedia ! Commons ! Wikidata
What about Wikisource? Wiktionary?
Content liberation ! Cultural partnerships
• WikiCite – Structured citation data!
• The Wikipedia Library
– Now with support from IFLA
• 1Lib1Ref (‘citation hunt’; hashtags)
• Catalonia Library Network
• Reference libraries
• Wikidata + Wikibase
Advocacy & Legal
• UK National Portrait Gallery
• Freedom of Panorama (not a problem in
Australia, but a major factor internationally)
Wikidata as a digital preservation knowledgebase
The “spinal gazetteer”