Which sites drive the most traffic and generate the most sales? chart explaining the 4 areas focus on the searching aspect of doing business and people coming to you word of mouth links all need content NOT sales...if sales, people won&apos;t read!! mailing list to blog has to be interactive comments box that have to give email google sends to youtube sends to Twitter blog goes to blogger
3- Blog: directing people to website and producthas to be same searchable name as your product what linked to to be higher in the search
consciously have links and relationships
link to whatever relates to you. link to &gt; Youtube link to &gt; twitter updates link to &gt; book list link to &gt; fans
21-26 year olds looking at twitter to get to a newspaper, following a band, celebrities
Defog the blog_nov12010
Defog the Blog!BRC Course on making Blogs,
marketing & making money
in the Blogosphere
Defog the Blog course schedule
• Make a blog
• Survey sez
• Track & find
• Where’s the $
• Show & tell
• What do we do
• Biz Plan
• Next steps
11/1, tonight 11/8, next Monday 11/15, next next Monday
Stop, Research, Prioritize
• Why here? 6-6:30
• What is it? The Blogsphere 6:30-6:45
• Let’s dissect a few good blogs 6:45-7:15
• Lets look 7:15-7:45 & break
• Briefly how the money happens 7:45-8
• Blog Makers, word tracker & you 8-8:45
• Homework: what sort of blog is it ?8:45-9
What do you want
out of this class?
Why are you here?01/29/15
What social media sites should I use?
Rating / Tagging Content Dissemination/
What is it?
• A blog (short for web-log) is a website in the
form of a journal, with dated entries regularly
posted with thoughts of any kind... In French,
the equivalent term invented for the occasion
is "joueb" for "journal-web"!
History of Blogs
• Main article: History of blogging timeline
• Main article: Online diary
• The term "weblog" was coined by Jorn Barger
December 1997. The short form, "blog," was coined by
Peter Merholz, who jokingly broke the word weblog into
the phrase we blog in the sidebar of his blog Peterme.com
in April or May of 1999.
Shortly thereafter, Evan
Williams at Pyra Labs used "blog" as both a noun and verb
("to blog," meaning "to edit one's weblog or to post to
one's weblog") and devised the term "blogger" in
connection with Pyra Labs' Blogger product, leading to the
popularization of the terms.
On 6 December 2002, Josh
blog called attention to U.S.
Senator Lott's comments
Thurmond. Senator Lott
was eventually to resign
over the matter.
Time to go hunting
1. Go to Defog the Blog site
2. Click on Blog Awards Sites
Weblog Awards http://weblogawards.org/
Blogger’s Choice Awards
Best of the Blogs http://www.thebobs.com/
Blog search engines & portals
The gold standard of blog search engines
One of the first RSS search engines on the web
• Blog Pulse
Trend search tool
Willie Crawford was
an Air Force officer
flying C130 cargo
planes. Knowing how
to do that was pretty
valuable, but Willie
wanted to do
something else. He
didn't know much
else but one thing he
did know was how to
He set up
a newsletter and
then a recipe
book that is still
doing six figures.
• You are connecting /selling only to people
who are interested in what you're offering.
• Only the Internet can let you select and refine
your leads to this extent.
• Think about what words describe your
content for a title
week: Stop & Research
Other ways the money
• The ways in which it's monetized are:
• affiliate programs
(e.g., Commission Junction, Linkshare) -- if I
recommend a sweater at Saks (for example) and
people click on the specific link I give them, any
purchases made at Saks during that visit (directly
from my link) earn me a small commission
(generally 3% to 15%) of the entire purchase
• it's part of the advertising network BlogHer, also
-- the company gives me ads to run on the site
(lederboard and sidebar) and my site makes a few
cents every time a unique visitor views the page.
(This is a BLOG RING)
• to a much lesser extent, Google Ads also -- the
blog makes a few pennies if people click on
specific links (but no purchase is required and no
money is made based on traffic alone).
Naming your BLOG is the same as naming
• Ideal name needs to be memora
• Stand out from the crowd
• Means something
• Original & engaging to attract an
• Buttress your online persona
• “A Blog about Books” or “Booksl
• Superhero identity..
• Do we even
And then there are taglines
• Alien …In space no one can
hear you scream
• Jaws 2 …just when you
thought it was safe to go
back in the water
• The X-Files …The Truth is
• it’s enough to make you URL
week: Stop & Research Hands on
• Research: How to Build an Effective Keyword
List on Google Adwords
Read more: How to Build an Effective Keyword List on Google Adwords |
• Think about what words describe your content for the name of your blog
Blog Makers out there & you
• Basic Blog makers
• Wordpress & Blogger
Homework: What are you passionate about?
1. Research more Blogs..
sites you LOVE, HATE, why?
2. Hard sell versus no sell?
3. Investigate blog names and word
4. Post your findings: Defog the Blog
5. Buy Blogging for Dummies