An analysis of the primary strengths
and weaknesses , objectives ,
strategies, and other information
relative to competitors.
Jackwinder Singh Uppal
• An analysis solely of physical differences
usually misses major competitive advantages
• A competitive analysis must extend beyond
• True competitive advantages are factors that
are recognized by guests and influence their
• A creative and alert marketing manager will
recognize competitive variables that are truly
of importance to customers and are
• Such a manager will develop strategies and
tactics to improve areas of weakness and
enhance already strong points.
• Single best way to conduct a competitive
analysis is to involve members of the
marketing sales department, such as the sales
• These people often have difficulty discussing
environmental variables such as interest rates,
but they can talk knowledgeably for hours
about the competition and guest preferences.