• Hook/attention grabber: Rekindle an old memory of when the reader was, or, may have been or heard of someone being wrongfully searched. (With humor)
• The Big Idea: The malpractice of stop and frisk law is causing more harm than good are they stoping criminals or brewing the emotions that create them
II. Middle• Preview the three main points that will support your big idea: Stop and risk malpractice leads to 1) Police abusing their authority and violating peoples rights; 2) allows police the opportunity to be discriminant; and 3) it alienates non criminal citizens
Supporting Point Two: Allows police to be discriminant
• Supporting Point One: Police may be abusing this authority and violating the rights of others. abusing this authority and violating the rights of others.
Evidence of Police using the law for incentives, personal gain and promotions
• Call to Adventure: You can learn to identify situations where your rights may be or have been violated to this law and take precaution to protect yourself.
• Supporting Point Three: Alienates non criminal citizens.
How there seems to be a certain “look” to a criminal
• citizens with no criminal history feel treated like criminals
Evidence of unlawful searches
What’s in it for your audience? Explain why your topic is important or worth discussing. There may be some people or group of people that experience the malpractice of the Stop and Frisk Law more than others, however, no citizen is exempt form the potential malpractice and the examples and data I provide will show how we all are effected by the abuse of use of this law.
Why should your audience listen to you? Explain your ethos (credibility). My audience should listen to me because I have first hand experience of how this law can allow police to violate rights and I have seen the impact on the relationship between the residents of a neighborhood and the local police force.
Discussion 3 ignite slide
Ever been wrongfully searched?
“more harm than good in the
I have, and it put a mental and an emotional block between all
law enforcement and I
Promotions, a motive for
Protect yourself from wrongful
RIGHTS IS IMPORTANT
A criminal is not a skin color
How many of them are actual criminals?
Being treated like a criminal, when your not, feels terrible
Search me for what, officer?
NO ONE IS EXEMPT