How We Purchase Software Now
• A Game Of Selecting The “Right” Application
• Features & Functionality
• Alignment With Business Objectives
• Graphical User Interface / Intuitive Software
• Price / ROI / Business Case
• Fit To The Organization
The New Purchasing Process
• Same As The Last Slide
• Don't Pay For Training (Ever)
• Ask… What Is The User Adoption Plan?
• Ask… What Is The Technology Roadmap (Next 2 Years)?
• Ask… I’d Like To See Audited Financials
• Ask… I’d Like To See Their Users Bill Of Rights
• Ask… May We Purchase Your Software Based On "Usage" Rather Than Traditional
• Evaluate The Strength Of Their User Communities
• If You Can, Attend A User Conference
• Talk With Buyers AND Users Of The Software
• SaaS = You Have The Power (Think: Rip & Replace)
• We don’t negotiate software contracts all that often
• Most contracts are provided by the vendors
• We’re at a disadvantage
10 Things To Consider...
• Does your contract state who owns the data?
• Does your contract automatically renew?
• Does your contract guarantee that prices will not be increased?
• Does your contract state that you can get out in 30 days or less?
• Does your contract stipulate the process for a graceful exit?
• Does your contract include training all users?
• Does your contract penalize the vendor for missing goals?
• Does your contract contain variable consulting hours?
• Does your contract include budget for incentive programs to drive user adoption?
• Does your contract include caps on maintenance fees?
"a feature is not a feature
unless users use said