• As per the Confederation of Indian Industry – Automobile sector is
likely to rise to Rs. 600000 crore by 2016.
• Global Auto majors like Hyundai and Volkswagen have set up facilities
in India with the country becoming the fastest growing market for
Mercedes Benz cars.
• Surging income of the Indian population has led to heightened demand
with High performance hybrid cars gaining popularity amongst
Trends shaping Digital Marketing in Automotive
• Digital experience ranked 2nd after live experience in driving premium
perception & willingness to pay
• Increasing consumer reliability on Digital channels – brand’s website,
online reviews and visits to social networks & community forums
• Digital medium as an emerging platform for pre-owned cars where
perceived risk is higher
What is Digital Media Used for?
• Strengthening the overall marketing campaign
• Providing online platform for Customer Reviews
• Apprising customers about New Models
• Posting videos on Facebook & Youtube for Customer
• Generating Leads
Automakers need not throw ads Online; they must Connect!
Crowdsourcing – An emerging arm of Digital
• Crowdsourcing - Process of obtaining needed services,
ideas, or content by soliciting contributions from a large
group of people, and especially from an online community,
rather than from traditional employees or suppliers.
• Examples of Crowsourcing in Automobile Industry are
Crowdsourcing for Hyundai’s i10 in 2013
• Hyundai’s agency Innocean Worldwide devised a
crowdsourcing campaign using Shah Rukh Khan.
• Prospective buyers of i10 and its existing owners were to
write a script for the next i10 TVC. The selected contestant
got to act with SRK in the TVC for i10.
The campaign utilised the digital platform extensively to
close the participation loop.
And Nissan followed suit..
• Campaign on Facebook by Nissan – Actor Ranbir
Kapoor inviting people to submit their dance
entries for a chance to act alongside him in a ‘by-the-
Out of over 2000 entries, the top 100 were decided by
public vote on Facebook
Generating Leads through Google
• What is Lead Generation?
In marketing, lead generation is the conversion of
consumer interest or inquiry into products or services of a
• A report indicated that the effectiveness of online
advertising in India had increased by 70% in terms of
generating sales in 2010.
Search Engine Marketing Vs Offline Marketing for
Newspaper Ad of Mercedes Benz
•Attention Span: Till an individual
reads Newspaper on a particular day
•Expenditure: 2.5 lacs (Equivalent to
1 quarter page ad.)
•Unique Leads Generated: 18-20
Online Ad of Mercedes Benz
•Geography: Gujarat, Madhya-
Pradesh, West Bengal, North-East
•Time Duration: 2 months
•Expenditure: 2.5 lacs (Equivalent to
1 quarter page ad. of a newspaper)
•Unique Leads Generated: 156
Source: Online Campaign conducted by Wild Dreams Media &
An edge with Digital Marketing!
• Coverage of a Larger Geographical Area: Digital Marketing covers
larger area under the same cost in contrast to advertisement placed in a
newspaper which are region-specific
• Longer Duration: A typical advertisement placed online can be made to
run for a longer duration, say 2 months.
•More Attention: Since an advertisement placed online runs longer, more
attention is received by the ad thus, more leads can be generated. In
contrast attention span to a newspaper ad lasts till the the reader is reading
newspaper or perhaps even less!
•RESULT: More Leads can be Generated through Online Marketing!!
• Success in automotive marketing is largely determined by
the ability to leverage mobile platforms, user generated
content, social networking channels and other emerging
media. Digital Marketing Research Team provides deep
insight into consumer attitudes and behavior.
“Social Media creates
Communities, not Markets’’