Learner-oriented Authentic EFL Learning
by Applying and Exercising
• Relate works
• Eztranslate software
• Results and Discussion
• With advantages of wearable devices and widely presence of wireless
network, ubiquitous learning and digital learning became a trend of
• Emerging new research in animals and humans suggests that physical
exercise may boost brain function, improve mood, and increase
learning. Physical exercise triggers chemical changes in the brain that
spur learning in mice (Blakemore and Frith 2005)
• There were many discussions on the relationship between physical
activity and academic achievement in the past, but most of
researches focused on increasing learners exercise time, just rarely
studies examined healthy learning.
• Therefore, our study aimed to provide opportunities for learners to
move their body along with studying, which not only increase their
motivation in learning but also their health and mood.
• In particular, through our system, learning and doing exercise are not
limited in class hours but also can be expanded after class hours.
• Begg (2000) points out that thinking and knowledge can be
established via physical exercise and action inside the learning
• Roberto and Klaus (2011) showed that the best way to help children
learn is to let them doing (learning by doing).
• KäLL et al (2014) showed that increasing exercise time was not
causing distraction but releasing stress and improving learners’ self-
• Raine et al. (2013) pointed out that exercises improved greatly on
• The mind and body and world are inseparable. (Qing Li, AERA 2010).
• Learning environment that does not support students use of body
and gesture can limit what and how they learn (Roth and lawless
• So (2012) found that doing appropriate exercise can improve blood
circulation and stimulates the brain activity, therefore it indirectly
affects academic performance.
• Scudder et al. (2004) also pointed that exercise improves the
language and reading ability
Our pilot study
Control group -27 students
(who use Eztranlate for
surrounding context without
Experiment group - 36 students
(who use Eztranlate for
surrounding context and did
150 students were asked to use Eztranslate freely.
2 homework's (small talk about surrounding context) were assigned for
every students to complete.
87 invalid data records
(students who only used
Eztranlate for dirty/slang
word or who did not
submit the homeworks or
who did not use
Eztranslate for surrounding
• 1.1 Relationship between research variables
=> Student got higher score when they
practiced speaking with vocabularies,
while lower ones with sentences.
The reason is that speaking a
vocabulary is easier than speaking a
Student might get no score or low score at the
beginning using the app, but after several
practices, they become more familiar with
speaking these vocabularies/sentences and
then their scores were getting higher.
Interesting phenomena: The number of steps was positive
correlated with number of practices.
It reveals that the more student walk the more practice they
have. So it looks worthy further investigating the issue of
healthy and joyful learning with wearable devices in future
• Running Persons’ correlation with learning performance.
• Learning performance are being evaluated via student’s homework.
• Compare learning performance between group of students who
did/did not practice.
• Measure student brain wave (Attention and Meditation) via
Neurosky device while using Eztranslate
Thank you for your listening.