The practical benefits to why everyone should care about digital literacy (i.e. learning to use computers, tablets, mobile devices, Internet and other technology). See the animated version on YouTube (http://youtu.be/FoKuvjh7UIc).
Top 10 Practical Benefits of Digital Literacy (Why You Should Care About Technology)
What Exactly is Digital Literacy? • There is no standard definition • Popular views are… A person’s ability to perform tasks effectively in a digital environment... (Connecting the Digital Dots: Literacy of the It’s having a fundamental understanding 21st Century) of computers (Microsoft Digital Literacy curriculum – 2012) It’s the ability to locate, organize, understand, evaluate, and analyze information using digital technology. (Wikipedia) The ability to understand and use information in multiple formats from a wide range of sources when it is presented via computers. (Paul Gilster, Digital Literacy)
Content Was Physically Separate The Old World • Books/Magazines: paper-based • Video: VCR tapes, DVDs • Music: CDs • Photos: film cameras • Shopping: in-person • Payments: cash, credit cards • Research: libraries, bookstores • Directions: maps, the “gas station” • Communication: in-person, phone
One Device Can Pull All Types of Content The New World • Books/Magazines: tablet • Video: cloud streamed • Music: mp3, cloud • Photos: digital cameras • Shopping: online • Payments: mobile, EFT • Research: search engines • Directions: GPS • Communication: chat, text
Digital Literacy is… TM “Life Skills for an Electronic World”Knowing How to Use: • Personal Computers • Mobile Phones and Tablets • Digital Cameras • GPS and Auto Technology • Entertainment (A/V) • Even accessories…
So, Why Should You Care?• Your Lifestyle• Your Job• Your Conversations• Your Happiness… Will all depend on being Digitally Literate But, Here’s Why You Should Get Excited!
• It Saves Time: Being digitally literate can save hours per month for tasks that could only be done offline in the past.The Bank The Store The Post Office
• You Learn Faster: Study at your own pace, lookup words, data, facts, figures. Try new things (and some old) without fear.
• You Save Money: Coupon codes, daily deal sites, comparison shopping sites and mobile apps, make it easier than ever to get the best product at the best price.
• It Makes You Safer: From checking medications, traveling abroad, to fixing your home – do more things safely.
• It Keeps You Informed: From minor traffic annoyances to life threatening natural disasters, new apps save lives and sanity.
IMHO• It Keeps You Connected: Technology allows you to talk to anyone, anytime, on your own terms. OMG LOL
• You’ll Make Better Decisions: Digital literacy allows you to search, study, analyze and compare everything at any time.
• It Can Keep You Employed: Most jobs today require some form of computer skills including jobs outside the traditional office. Ability to use proprietary software QUALIFICATIONS: Experience in mobile applications Expertise in all Microsoft Office products Exceptional computer skills Strong verbal and written communication skills
• It Makes You Happier (LOL): No matter how technically advanced the world gets, we will always love creativity and a good laugh.
• YOU Can Influence the World: Thousands of babies are born around the world each day. We never know who will be the next great leader. Through politics, religion, activism and even entertainment, people have brought change to places they didn’t know existed.
Now What?• Learn about the vast resources online• Use those tools online… to live a more fulfilling life offline• Share the knowledge and help others experience the benefits of digital literacy