The practical benefits to why everyone should care about digital literacy (i.e. learning to use computers, tablets, mobile devices, Internet and other technology). See the animated version on YouTube (http://youtu.be/FoKuvjh7UIc).
1. Top 10 Practical Benefits of
(Why You Should Care About Technology)
2. What Exactly is Digital Literacy?
• There is no standard definition
• Popular views are…
A person’s ability to perform tasks
effectively in a digital environment...
(Connecting the Digital Dots: Literacy of the
It’s having a fundamental understanding 21st Century)
of computers (Microsoft Digital Literacy
curriculum – 2012)
It’s the ability to locate, organize, understand,
evaluate, and analyze information using digital
The ability to understand and use information in
multiple formats from a wide range of sources when it is
presented via computers. (Paul Gilster, Digital Literacy)
3. Content Was Physically Separate
The Old World
• Books/Magazines: paper-based
• Video: VCR tapes, DVDs
• Music: CDs
• Photos: film cameras
• Shopping: in-person
• Payments: cash, credit cards
• Research: libraries, bookstores
• Directions: maps, the “gas station”
• Communication: in-person, phone
4. One Device Can Pull All Types of Content
The New World
• Books/Magazines: tablet
• Video: cloud streamed
• Music: mp3, cloud
• Photos: digital cameras
• Shopping: online
• Payments: mobile, EFT
• Research: search engines
• Directions: GPS
• Communication: chat, text
5. Digital Literacy is…
“Life Skills for an Electronic World”
Knowing How to Use:
• Personal Computers
• Mobile Phones and Tablets
• Digital Cameras
• GPS and Auto Technology
• Entertainment (A/V)
• Even accessories…
6. So, Why Should You Care?
• Your Lifestyle
• Your Job
• Your Conversations
• Your Happiness…
Will all depend on being Digitally Literate
But, Here’s Why You Should Get Excited!
7. • It Saves Time: Being
digitally literate can save
hours per month for tasks
that could only be done
offline in the past.
The Bank The Store The Post Office
8. • You Learn Faster: Study at your own pace,
lookup words, data, facts, figures. Try new
things (and some old) without fear.
9. • You Save Money: Coupon codes, daily deal
sites, comparison shopping sites and mobile
apps, make it easier than ever to get the best
product at the best price.
10. • It Makes You Safer: From checking
medications, traveling abroad, to fixing your
home – do more things safely.
11. • It Keeps You Informed: From minor traffic
annoyances to life threatening natural
disasters, new apps save lives and sanity.
• It Keeps You Connected: Technology allows
you to talk to anyone, anytime, on your own
13. • You’ll Make Better Decisions: Digital literacy
allows you to search, study, analyze and
compare everything at any time.
14. • It Can Keep You Employed: Most jobs today
require some form of computer skills
including jobs outside the traditional office.
Ability to use proprietary software
Experience in mobile applications
Expertise in all Microsoft Office products
Exceptional computer skills
Strong verbal and written communication skills
15. • It Makes You
No matter how
world gets, we
will always love
creativity and a
16. • YOU Can Influence the World: Thousands of
babies are born around the world each day.
We never know who will be the next great
leader. Through politics, religion, activism and
even entertainment, people have brought
change to places they didn’t know existed.
17. Now What?
• Learn about the vast resources online
• Use those tools online…
to live a more fulfilling life offline
• Share the knowledge and help others
experience the benefits of digital literacy