Customers were expecting be reassured about site
security and didn’t see this, so they mostly did not buy
and left the site
Analytics Data –
The ability to
is Key to the
in an enterprise
Ideal Analyst Scenario
•Analyst: “We can increase PageViews on our
website by 5% by sending out a weekly
newsletter just before content updates which, by
my estimates, would increase our advertising
revenues by about $200,000 per week.”
•Manager: “That’s sounds great! When can we
implement your idea?”
Web Analytics works well mainly if/when your
business is willing to make frequent changes to
the website based on reports from the Analytics.
If not, Website Analytics (Web Analytics) is
• The entire point of collected data with Web Analytics is to optimize.
• Are you making recommendations on how to improve your Web site or simply
just creating and sending reports to stakeholders with none of your own insight?
Make sure that you do the former.
My own KPI
Your Business (or You)
Actually Care About
KPIs are not always a conversion rate.
In the table, to the
right, the sum of all
Purchases and the sum
of all Cart Additions
can also be KPIs.
Sample: Success Events by Industry
• Retail: ProductView, Checkout, Purchase
• Media: Subscription, Contest Sign-up, PageView,VideoView
• Finance: Application Submission, Login, Self-ServiceTools Usage
• Travel: Booking (purchase), Internal Campaign (click-through), Search (pricing
• Telecommunications: Purchase, Leads, Self-ServiceTools Usage
• HighTech: Whitepaper download, RFP, Form Completion, Support Requests
• Automotive: Lead Submission, Request a Quote, Brochure Download
Two types of Metrics (these are classified
differently depending on the platform)
Example: Which Pages are Working? Not?
Depending on how
you want to define it
(lets take “Bounce
Rate” as a metric to
Results seem to
“bounce” less where
section of the site
bounces the most.
Example: Which Pages get no traffic?
got very little
that may be
due to the
areas in your
are weak and see
a lot of dropout?
We may need to do more
to make our equipment
page/s stand out.
Example: Which pages have high exits?
We may need
to do more to
Example: Which products are selling and which are not?
This Adobe Site
does not have
We can segment Web Data to make it more
Location: Timing :
Vehicle (how your going to do it): Venues (where your going to do it):
Message (Call(S) to Action):
Product / Service / Program
ask fans and
Where Success will be judged by
Here’s a template to help visualize “Your Plan”
Begin the Analytics Planning by defining
your Business Goals so they are clear
Then match those “business goals” to goals your
organization can accomplish online
Finally, match Digital Initiatives to KPIs that are tied to
specific reporting from your Analytics
The end product is a Digital Strategy and
Action Plan to help your organization realize its