at Animal AI Olympics
21 Aug. 2019“Animal-AI Olympics” Kick-off meetup
Basic idea of WBAI
Vision： Create a world in which AI exists in
harmony with humanity.
• Study: Deepen and spread our expertise.
• Imagine: Broaden our views through public dialogue.
• Build: Create AGI through open collaboration.
Mission： Promote the open development of Whole
‘to create a human-like AGI by learning from the architecture of the entire brain’
“Animal-AI Olympics” Kick-off meetup2
Whole Brain Architecture approach
“Animal-AI Olympics” Kick-off meetup
‘to create a human-like AGI by learning
from the architecture of the entire brain’
To reach AGI, we start from mimicking high-level architectures of the
brain, and gradually introduce details as needed
Merits of referring the brain architecture
“Animal-AI Olympics” Kick-off meetup4
Can utilize knowledge in various
fields related to human intelligence
for design and evaluation
Provide a platform
→ The brain is an
High affinity with
people → AI that is
similar to people up to
the internal structure
and is easy to
understand / trust
Brain-inspired AGI development becoming major
(DeepMind, Chania Brain Project, etc.)
T: AGI design
Brain constraints could accelerate AGI development
“Animal-AI Olympics” Kick-off meetup5
Under the practical search ability a,
• AGI discovering probability ≒ a✕(T / H)
• Brain-inspired AGI discovering probability ≒ a✕(Tb / Hb)
(depend on the combination of
restrict search space
Brain inspired AGI
Brain inspired approach will reach AGI faster, if
Tb/Hb > T/H
Representation in the implemented system
“Animal-AI Olympics” Kick-off meetup
４ kind of accumulators
The basal ganglia
• Point to Target: Input
• Point to Target:
• All Task: Input
• All Task: Inspector
GPS criteria for evaluating brain-inspired AGIs
“Animal-AI Olympics” Kick-off meetup10
Can the system solve
Evaluate the number of
successfully executed tasks
out of the presented tasks.
Is the mechanism similar to that of
Evaluate whether the presented design
or sample code is used. Points are added
for additional biological plausibility.
Is the mechanism composed of
reusable functional modules?
Evaluate that multiple tasks are
accomplished by fewer processing
The WBA (Whole Brain Architecture) Prize
The WBA Prize will be awarded to the
most biologically plausible entry
• US$4,000 grant (from WBAI)
• Up to US$1,000 travel grant to speak
at NeurIPS 2019 (from the organizer)
“Animal-AI Olympics” Kick-off meetup11
The WBA Prize: Application
You must write your team ID and the date of application.
Detail how your methodology with a particular focus on the ways in which
it is biologically plausible (1,000 ～ 1,500 English words.)
• Structural correspondence between your architecture and brain
architecture, if any (a block diagram would help).
• Mechanisms being used that are similar to those found in the brain,
• If you have modeled your solution on certain animals (including
• Include details about how you think your approach can help us
understand biological intelligence.
We appreciate code readable for the reviewers
“Animal-AI Olympics” Kick-off meetup12
The WBA Prize: Review Process
• An independent panel of experts will be
convened for review.
• Biological plausibility as well as
generality and the simplicity of the code
will be appreciated (see the GPS
• Biological plausibility will be evaluated
by your summary. Generality will be
evaluated from your competition record.
The code will be used to evaluate the
simplicity and to validate the summary.
“Animal-AI Olympics” Kick-off meetup13
The WBA Prize: References
• Kriegeskorte, N. & Douglas, P.K. (2018) Cognitive
computational neuroscience. Nature
Neuroscience, 21, 1148–1160.
• Hassabis, D., et al. (2017) Neuroscience-Inspired
Artificial Intelligence. Neuron, 95(2), 245-258.
• O’Reilly, et al. (2016) Computational Cognitive
• WBAI: Prospect for Human-like AGI via the WBA
• WBAI Wiki
“Animal-AI Olympics” Kick-off meetup14
“Animal-AI Olympics” Kick-off meetup15
The WBA award requires
an additional technical summary
and code submission.
However, it is a competition section
that has spaces to appealing
your team’s unique ideas.
Please challenge by all means.