Animal-AI Olympics Outline @ Kick-Off MeetUp Tokyo
The Animal-AI Olympics:
The Whole Brain
Image Credit Squidoodle
What is the Animal-AI Olympics?
● Ongoing AI software competition
● Competing with software agents
● Agents are
in virtual environments.
● Prizes: total $32,000
● Agents’ cognitive capabilities to be tested
are inspired by animals.
AAO is organized by people at Leverhulme
Centre for the Future of Intelligence (CFI)
Who are behind it?
Sponsors and Partners
○ 2019-07-08: Online submissions open ✔
We are here!
○ 2019-09-01: AWS Credits Prize Deadline
○ 2019-11-01: Deadline for final submission
○ 2019-12: Results announced at NeurIPS 2019
● Participation is team-based (up to 5 members).
Please read the rules carefully!
● You submit your agent to the EvalAI platform :
● You can submit your agent many times!
● Your submission will be scored
automatically and the ranking of
teams will be displayed.
● Your best result before the deadline (Nov. 1)
will be used for prize evaluation.
● Interest in (measuring) kinds of intelligence
● AI hasn’t reached the level of animal intelligence.
● But the situation is better with the rise of Deep
Background of the Competition
An intelligent agent should be able to deal with
〜 General intelligence/AGI
⇒ Hidden Tests
Test details are not disclosed to avoid ‘tuning.’
Only environments & categories of cognitive
capabilities are disclosed.
1. Food: getting food in an environment
free of obstacles.
2. Preferences: e.g., choosing a small food nearby
or a big remote food
3. Obstacles: the environment contains obstacles &
may require exploratory forage.
4. Avoidance: the environment contains hot zones
and death zones with negative rewards.
Simple Task Categories
5. Spatial Reasoning: complex navigation &
knowledge of simple physics (e.g., slopes)
6. Generalization: to respond to environmental
variations (e.g., different obstacle colors).
7. Internal Models: to remember the layout of the
environment during blackout.
8. Object Permanence: objects out of sight still
9. Advanced Preferences: choosing from complex
10.Causal Reasoning: some planning
Complex Task Categories
Environments: on the Unity ML-Agents Toolkit
- configurable -
Configurations used for evaluation are
Test for each category: pass or fail
within 250, 500 or 1000 steps
Some test details
● 1st place: $6,500 cash + ~$1,000 travel to NeurIPS
● 2nd place: $5,000 cash + ~$1,000 travel to NeurIPS
● 3rd place: $1,500
Category Prizes: $200 for each category
● For the top 20 teams by overall score on Sept. 1st.
● Each winner will be awarded $500 of AWS credits.
The Whole Brain Architecture (WBA) Prize
● $4,000 cash for the most biologically plausible entry
+ ~$1,000 travel to NeurIPS
Call for Participation!
AAO is challenging & interesting for
● AI engineers
● those who are interested in