Advanced Social Networks – Activating
WOM in Social Networks
Warren Sukernek, Sr. Strategist
DIGITAL @ VML
VML is a global interactive agency offering end-to-end solutions in digital
strategy, interactive development, user interface design, creative, online
media, and marketing systems integration. We combine the skills of
traditional ad agency with knowledge of emerging technologies and
enterprise-class systems consulting. Our capabilities transcend core
agency and tech shop offerings, allowing us to create solutions – and the
marketing programs that surround them – for clients around the globe.
Breakout Session Description: Activating WOM in
Social Networks: Advanced Social Media
You’ve designed your Facebook applications,
created a page for your brand within several
social networks, tapped into Sermo and
Gather … Now what?
How do you go beyond initial try-and-learn
programs and begin to move towards using
social networks more strategically?
How are we measuring success?
What are the performance indicators that
This is a great opportunity to talk with your
peers about taking that next big step into
social media. What have they tried that has
been successful, and what lessons have they
learned so far?
Strategy: Activating WOM in Social Networks
At our roundtable, we discussed the
importance of using a strategic framework
for the development of social network
initiatives. Forrester’s POST and Social
Technographics methodology were
identified as excellent tools to utilize.
April 2007, “Social Technographics®”
Examples of Social Network Measurements
Traditional Web Analytics and Pageviews don’t cut it
for Social Network Measurement.
• Attention/ Engagement (Time on Site, maybe not
yours, particularly if the activity in Facebook or
• Interaction (Profiles created, posts, comments,
• Velocity (Distance/Frequency/Recency)
• Sentiment (Tone, opinion)
• Qualitative – What did they say?
• Impact – What did they do?
• Comparisons – by month, quarter, benchmarks
• Groundswell, Winning in a world
transformed by social Additional
technologies, by Charlene Li and Resources
• Here Comes Everybody: The
Power of Organizing without
Organizations by Clay Shirky
• Groundswell.forrester.com Forrester’s Groundswell
• http://www.shirky.com/ Clay Shirky
• http://www.web-strategist.com/blog/ Jeremiah Owyang
• http://darmano.typepad.com/ David Armano
• Communityguy.com Jake McKee
• http://www.goingsocialnow.com/ Shiv Singh
• http://www.thesocialorganization.com/ Rachel
• http://gobigalways.com/ Sam Lawrence