Perspective on Learning
EDUC370: Instructional Media
and Computer Applications
January 30th, 2014
Jonathon Richter, Ed.D.
University of Montana
"It is possible to believe that all the past is but
the beginning of a beginning, and that all that is
and has been is but the twilight of the dawn.
It is possible to believe that all that the human
mind has ever accomplished is but the dream
before the awakening.”
~ H.G. Wells
Just as all education springs from some vision of
all education produces some image of the future
~ Alvin Toffler
Culture adoption lags behind
Ogburn’s Theory of Cultural Lag
“All education springs from some
image of the future. If the image of the
future held by society is grossly
inaccurate, its education system will
betray its youth.”
Increasingly fast-paced world
Teachers dealing with Disruptive
1.Resistance and Struggle for Control
2.Doing What is Necessary and
Integrating “Proven” Technologies
3.Finding Ways to Get Technologies into
the Hands of Students – and Letting it
Future Time Perspective
how far into the future does your active work extend?
how organized is your future-focused thinking?
how many thoughts about the future are active?
how well are you moving along from present to future?
are you gratified about your progress toward the future?
• Extend students time horizons (length)
• Develop cohesive goals, anchored to action (cohesiveness)
• Populate individual goal horizons (density)
• Give students agency (directionality)
• Give them real reasons to feel good about their own futures
= “high achievement orientation” (Seijts)
The future belongs to those who give
the next generation reason to hope
~ Pierre Teilhard de Chardin
Credits not appearing inline
• Global Internet Map: http://www.telegeography.com/telecomresources/map-gallery/global-internet-map-2011/
• “Facebook: You’re Doing It Wrong”: http://www.worldcupblog.org
• Gerard Seijts, “The importance of Future Time Perspective in theories of
work motivation”; Journal of Psychology: Interdisciplinary and Applied
132(2), pp. 154-168.