8 Ways to Master the
Art of Effective Listening
You're short on ears
and long on mouth.
-- John Wayne
Why listening Matters?
Listening is a crucial element of teamwork and
essential to succeed in any corporate environment.
Most of the learning in a corporate environment
comes from these unwritten rules, learned through
Listening helps bonding with teammates and build
1. Relax. Have an adequate rest before an
important meeting. Don’t show up tired.
2. Cut the Chord
Leave your phone and laptop in your desk
when you are required to listen.
3. Keep a physical notepad. Jot stuff
periodically to keep you engaged.
This will reduce your urge to interrupt the speaker and
also provide you a better organization.
4. Slightly lean forward. This will show you
are listening & also keep you committed.
5. Pay attention to body language
Most of what we communicate is non-verbal.
Watch out for these non-verbal signals.
6. Make a Conscious effort to Retain
Eye Contact with the Speaker
7. Try paraphrasing & summarizing the
content in smaller meetings.
8. Try to avoid nitpicking on speaker’s
mannerisms. Cut them some slack.
Listening in meetings can especially
be boring. However, surviving them
is key to your corporate survival.