Anti patterns in it project management


Published on

Anti patterns in it project management. Speech at Agile Vietnam 2016 Conference.

20161016 Agile Vietnam Conference 2016


#agilevn16, #agilevietnam2016, #hanoi, #altplus

[AGILE VIETNAM CONFERENCE 2016] - A regional conference on Agile practices, software craftsmanship and organization improvement.

5 years in a row, Agile Vietnam has achieved numerous success and has impacted positively on the community. With that spirit, Agile Vietnam has been very proud to hold Agile Vietnam Conference 2016.

Agile Vietnam Conference 2016 aims to be the best and the biggest event held by Agile Vietnam Community with theme of "LEAPFROG" - with full of exciting activities including keynote speeches, workshops, contests, games, business matching, and networking.

Why you should come to Agile Vietnam 2016 Conference?
➡ Networking with top experts of the world
➡ Improve agile process and project outcomes
➡ Inspire your mind
➡ Exclusive opportunity for learning
➡ Attend a world-class conference

● 07:30 - 17:00, 14th October 2016, Hoa Sen University, Nguyen Van Trang, District 1, HCMC.

● 07:30 - 12:00, 15th October 2016, Bamboo Green Hotel 177 Tran Phu, Hai Chau, Danang.

● 07:00 - 17:00, 16th October 2016, Alt Plus Vietnam Company Limited, 31F Keangnam Ha Noi Landmark Tower 72, Lot E6 Pham Hung, Nam Tu Liem, Ha Noi.

● Eventbrite:
● Ticket box:
- HCM:
- Ha Noi:
- Da Nang:

►►►More information:

Published in: Leadership & Management
1 Comment
  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Total views
On SlideShare
From Embeds
Number of Embeds
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Anti patterns in it project management

  1. 1. ANTI PATTERNS in IT Project Management Agile Vietnam Conference 2016 Nguyễn Vũ Hưng 2016/10/16, Hà Nội
  2. 2. Agenda 1. Warmup with a real world case study 2. List of anti patterns; my stories 3. Your stories; discussions 4. Q&A 5. Closing
  3. 3. About Myself 1. Nguyễn Vũ Hưng, 1978 2. CTO, Fuji Technology 3. POS: a. Agile b. Open Source c. Project Management "Nguyen Vu Hung is the CTO of Fuji Technology.He has numerous years of IT and software development, project/product management in both Japan and Vietnam. Considering himself as a FOSS and Agile evangelist and being a Agile lover and an CTO, he is also interested in not-so-related domains such as human resource management and (organization) (re)structuring." +84-904-28-7878 2016/09/07, @VJU - Nguyen Vu Hung
  4. 4. Target Audiences 1. CEO, CIO, CTO 2. (IT) Project Managers 3. Project Leaders 4. Team Lead
  5. 5. Design Pattern “In software engineering, a design pattern is a general repeatable solution to a commonly occurring problem in software design. A design pattern isn't a finished design that can be transformed directly into code. It is a description or template for how to solve a problem that can be used in many different situations.”
  6. 6. “AntiPatterns, like their design pattern counterparts, define an industry vocabulary for the common defective processes and implementations within organizations. A higher-level vocabulary simplifies communication between software practitioners and enables concise description of higher-level concepts.”
  7. 7. (Why) Most Software Projects Fail According to a new research, success in 68% of technology projects is "improbable." Poor requirements analysis causes many of these failures, meaning projects are doomed right from the start (ZDNet) Project Failure Poor Requirements Lack of Supervision Lack of Resources Unrealistic Expectations
  8. 8. A Word Before We Start
  9. 9.
  10. 10. Avalance: Mixing Waterfall and Agile (Quy trình hiệu quả hay quy trình ”chuẩn"?)
  11. 11. 99% Rule: It is NEARLY done (nhưng mãi mãi không bao giờ xong) Gần DONE, nhưng không CLOSE được, hoặc mãi mãi không close được. The first 90 percent of the code accounts for the first 90 percent of the development time. The remaining 10 percent of the code accounts for the other 90 percent of the development time.[1] — Tom Cargill, Bell Labs
  12. 12. Gold Plating: Optimize Beyond the Scope (nên/cần hay không?)
  13. 13. Scope Creep: Keep Scope Under Control Uncontrolled changes or continuous growth in a project’s scope, or adding new features to the project after the original requirements have been drafted and accepted (also known as requirement creep and feature creep) Possible cauues: 1. poor change control 2. lack of proper initial identification of what is required to bring about the project objectives 3. weak project manager or executive sponsor 4. poor communication between parties 5. lack of initial product versatility
  14. 14. Brooks' Law Adding more resources to a project to increase velocity, when the project is already slowed down by coordination overhead. Vào cuối dự án, càng thêm người dự án càng chậm.
  15. 15. Tester Driven Development Software projects in which new requirements are specified in bug reports Để testers lead cuộc chơi là hỏng. Khách hàng/PO hãy dẫn đầu.
  16. 16. Software Bloat: Fat & Heavy Ví dụ: Windows, ERP. Triết lý Unix: KISS
  17. 17. Overengineering: (Spending resources making a project more robust and complex than is needed, tương tự gold plating)
  18. 18. Micromanagement: Pay(too much) Attention to Details Hãy để team membes chủ động
  19. 19. Vendor Lock-in: (FOSS is the Way to Go)
  20. 20. Death by Planning: (Don’t take too much time on planning. Thay vào đó, thãy tạo value cho sản phẩm/khách hàng)
  21. 21. Too Many Reports Too Many Meetings Developers spend too much time answering the concerns of managers and decision makers. Họp dài nhất: Liên tục 12h 2 tuần qua: Họp liên tục 6h
  22. 22. Analysis Paralysis: Don’t think, just start any way in an Agile way Phân tích qua nhiều. Thay vào đó, hãy làm prototype, làm luôn, chấp nhận technical debt và kaizen vào sprints tiếp theo.
  23. 23. Viewgraph Engineering Too much document, they are interim output that end-users don’t really want Agile không chú trọng tài liệu bằng giá trị.
  24. 24. Fear of Success Declare your success! Make your team confident. Sợ không thành công. Lo nhiều quá và không bắt đầu. Suy nghĩ tiêu cực
  25. 25. Irrational Management: 1. Tạm dịch: Bất cập trong Quản lý 2. PM thiếu năng lực 3. Tính (xấu) của người quản lý dự án 4. “Tôi - PM - là người chạy dự án này, chứ không phải cách anh" 5. Độc tài 6. Gây khó chịu, mâu thuẫn nội bộ 7. Có bias (về kỹ thuật, con người, quy trình) 8. Không đưa ra được quyết định 9. Micromanagement là một ví dụ 10. Người lãnh đạo dự án (PM) không gây được ảnh hưởng, không động viên, khích lệ được nhân viên
  26. 26. Project Mismanagement 1. Tạm dịch: Quản lý sai 2. Quản lý không đúng chỗ, cái cần quản lý thì không quản lý 3. Monitor và controll sai cái cần làm 4. Không priority được cái quan trọng nhất 5. Không nhìn ra được rủi ro lớn nhất (để hạn chế)
  27. 27. Guessworks 1. Vừa làm vừa đoán 2. Đầu vào (tài liệu thiết kế, test, code, yêu cầu…) không rõ ràng 3. Phải vừa làm vừa đoán 4. Tăng chi phí communication 5. Trao đổi a. Hệ quả là gì? b. Phát sinh muda, muri, mura ra sao?
  28. 28. Throw It over the Wall: The Code is finished (no testing, no documentation) Technical debt cực lớn
  29. 29. Conway's Law 1. Thiết kế chương trình phản ánh cơ cấu tổ chức 2. Việc ra quyết định phức tạp dần nếu tổ chức phức tạp 3. Luồng thông tin trao đổi trong tổ chức ra sao thì dự án chạy cũng như vậy
  30. 30. Death March Chạy nước rút vào phút cuối. "In project management, a death march is a project where the members feel it is destined to fail, or requires a stretch of unsustainable overwork. "
  31. 31. Zoombies Thành viên nhóm không nói, không hỏi. Không ai biết họ nghĩ gì, có issue gì, hiểu hay không hiểu. Hệ quả: Thường là chìm xuồng.
  32. 32. Q&A
  33. 33. ANTI PATTERNS in IT Project Management Agile Vietnam Conference 2016 Nguyễn Vũ Hưng 2016/10/16, Hà Nội
  34. 34. REFERENCES
  35. 35. References 1. 2. AntiPatterns: Refactoring Software, Architectures, and Projects in Crisis 3. 4. 5. AntiPatterns in Project Management 1st Edition
  36. 36. Software Development AntiPatterns ● Golden Hammer ● Dead End ● Spaghetti Code ● Input Kludge ● Walking through a Minefield ● Cut-And-Paste Programming ● Mushroom Management ● Golden Hammer ● Dead End ● Spaghetti Code ● Input Kludge ● Walking through a Minefield ● Cut-And-Paste Programming ● Mushroom Management
  37. 37. Software Architecture AntiPatterns ● Software Architecture AntiPatterns ● Autogenerated Stovepipe ● Stovepipe Enterprise ● Jumble ● Stovepipe System ● Cover Your Assets ● Vendor Lock-In ● Software Architecture AntiPatterns ● Autogenerated Stovepipe ● Stovepipe Enterprise ● Jumble ● Stovepipe System ● Cover Your Assets ● Vendor Lock-In
  38. 38. Dark Launching Dark launching is a technique of "wrapping" the code of new software features in a way that let you turn them on or off. Perhaps turning them on and off for all your users, or perhaps turning them on and off for only a subset of your users (that meet some criteria).
  39. 39. E-mail Is Dangerous: Không trao đổi thông tin nhạy cảm qua email. Trao đổi trực tiếp Không có log, chứng cứ
  40. 40. Intellectual Violence: A form of communication breakdown Đề cập tới một lý thuyết, phương pháp mới mà mọi người không hiểu (không follow được)
  41. 41. Corncob: My ex-colleague, a difficult person (khó chịu, luôn phản đối, đưa ra ý kiến tiêu cực, tự nâng cao bản thân, ghen tị)
  42. 42. Fire Drill: Months of boredom followed by demands for immediate delivery Bình thường không có việc. Nhưng tự nhiên bắt làm luôn và ngay.
  43. 43. The Feud: Conflicts between Managers Developers ăn đòn
  44. 44. Endless Development: Phát triển mãi không xong.
  45. 45. Change is Bad: Nghĩ rằng Thay đổi (Change, Change Request) là không tốt, muốn stick mà plan/design/requirement ban đầu. Thực tế: Sản phẩm, thị trường, yêu cầu, mọi thứ luôn biến động thay đổi.
  46. 46. Endless Meetings: