Cooperative VR experience by VR player and other players
Keywords : Virtual Reality, Communication,
Embodied Interaction, Co-op, Visual
information, Visual manipulation
There is an experiential gap between the
person enjoying VR with HMD and those
watching it around it.
TeleSight enables cooperative experience
with a third party in the real world by
reproducing the VR space and the avator of
VR player using robot and projection
system. It aims at presenting new
communication and embodied interaction
between VR player and third party player.
A third party player can be understanding
that what happen in virtual world by robot
movement and projected vision. And also a
third party player can embodied interaction
to VR player through avatar robot.
This project has won Laval Virtual Awards
at the IVRC 2018 final stage.
Link to Youtube
Install plan -Logistics plan-
● We Carry.. (by suitcase)
○ a HTC Vive and related components(Lighthouses)
○ VR Ready laptop
○ "TeleSight" robot and related components(cables and demo stuff)
○ Fixture for Robot
○ Projector screen(It's handcrafted. it can be disassembled and carried in a suitcase.)
● We Craft or Buy at venue
○ Display stand for include(Robot, Laptop, Projector) : We will find good table at Laval.
● Please construct..
○ Walls needed to protect HTC Vive lighthouse from other stands. Keep an open roof.
● Please provide..
○ 1 power source: Max 1000W - min 500W
○ 1 Projector (HDMI source, 1920x1080@60Hz)
○ 3 tripods for mounting Vives Lighthouse and Projector screen.(Max height 3000mm)
○ 2 chairs for customers.
○ 2 local volunteer staff for explication.
Example of Tripod we expect.
Install plan -Floor plan-
"TeleSight" Top "TeleSight" Side
Experience scenario at IVRC2018 Final
● Unique idea for collaboration.
● A new possibility as a VR that can be enjoyed by two people.
● It is fun to cooperate by hiding the eyes but it may not be intuitive.
● Shooting games are not a good application for this idea.
The player can emit a
beam at the end of the
line of sight, and this can
be used to repel the
Third party player can
prevent attacks from
monsters by covering
the eyes of the robot
On the other hand, a
monster attacks to the
Although this can
prevent attacks, the
player's field of vision is
covered as well.
Experience scenario at Laval Virtual we will improve.
To enhance the cooperative experience, We improve the experience to make it more rich through
different items and locations.
VR player is instructed to
discover a specific
thing.(ex : octopus) But
VR player has visibility
The two players will look
around the world from both
world in cooperation and
communicate. (Where is
finding thing?, Which items
Third party Players will
help the VR player by
items on the robot.
When the VR player finds a
specific thing, moves to the
next location. Two players
travel through various places
and experience TeleSight's
I can't see...
Please help me!
Okey! I will put on
OK, Can you see
Is it a desert here?
dazzling! I want
● We planning to do the same demonstration professional day and public day.
○ Cooperative demonstration with two or more people(1 VR player and Third party players)
○ If there is only one person experiencing, the operator will help the experience as a VR player.
○ At public day, We observing user behavior using questionnaire.
● 2 player(VR player, Third party player) experience with the following tasks.
1. VR player enters a certain world using Vive.(ex:under the sea, desert, dark cave)
2. The VR player is instructed to discover a specific thing.(ex : octopus, scorpio, crystal)
3. VR player has visibility problems(ex:no goggles in the water, the sun is dazzling, too dark)
4. Third party Players will help the VR player by wearing appropriate items on the robot.
(ex:goggles,sunglasses,flashlight on head)
5. Also VR player and third party players communicate. (Where is finding thing?, Which items are
6. By the voice system installed in the robot, third party player feels the robot as an avatar of the VR
7. When the VR player finds a specific thing, moves to the next location.
8. When the Players done 2 or 3 locations, demonstration ends.
● IVRC 2018 Final stage (Laval Virtual Award)
○ In this version, the player played a shooting game. Third party
players were able to cooperate by interfering with the VR game
with "covering eyes" movement. However, the act of "cooperating
by covering the eyes" was not intuitive, and many explanations
were necessary. We are creating more intuitive and enjoyable
collaborative content based on the unique original idea of
"manipulating the eyes and vision from the outside". An example
of new demo is shown as Experience scenario page. Control of
Robot and Projection Quality will be enhanced.
代田兼一郎 / 鵜重誠 / 清水光二 / 浅田七星 / 青木悠
慶應義塾大学大学院 メディアデザイン研究科 Embodied Media
KENICHIRO SHIROTA / MAKOTO UJU / KOJI SHIMIZU/ NANASE ASADA / HARUKA AOKI
Body Ownership and the Proteus Effect
Experiments for Realizing the Avatar Society
Lilith = AH =Lily White
Report and Exhibit Results of Experiments Regarding an Avatar
Back Ground: the Avatar Society
the Development of Avatar Culture
(Social VR, Vtuber...etc.)
・Specific avatar or multiple avatar
・Long time use (over 3 hours)
Studies regarding an Avatar[1,2]
(Social Interaction, Embodiment...etc.)
・Short time use (around 30 min)
It need to investigate about effectiveness in actual situation
Purpose : Research regarding an Avatar in VRChat
Reveal Positive Effects of Avatar in Actual Situation(VRChat)
Utilize our Findings
to Actual Situation
(Vtuber, Social VR)
・QoE for VR Contents
・Investigate and Report about the Body Ownership and the Proteus Effect in VRChat
・Exhibit the Proteus Effect in VRChat
Our First Mission and Our Demo...
What are Body Ownership and the Proteus Effect？
the feel of becoming avatar as our body Avatars’s attractiveness affects attitude
Our Experiments: Condition(Within Subject Design )
・Possibility Inducing the Sense of Body Ownership in VRChat
・Possibility daily use Avatar can be enhanced Body Ownership as a Top Down Factor
Our Experiments: Procedure
(Pick up Boxes)
Investigate about score of Body Ownership and QoE
Under Each Condition...
Results :Body Ownership(FPV and Mirror)
Main Effect between the Avatar Factor
⇒My Avatar Significantly enhance the Body Ownership
Q1:(F=8.847,p=0.0063; F=32.217, p=0.0000)
Q2:(F=8.656,p=0.0068; F=19.816, p=0.0001)
Results:(sense of Immersion and Plausibility)
Main Effect between the Avatar Factor
⇒My Avatar Significantly enhance QoE for VRChat
Q5(F=5.481, =0.0272; F=19.987, p=0.0001)
Q6(F=4.928, =0.0354; F=18.220, p=0.0002)
Experience Scenario (the Proteus Effect)
For Professional and Public Days
1. Login VRChat from Revolution Stadium
2. Allocate the Avatar as a Condition
(Tall Avatar vs. Small Avatar)
3. Manipulate the Avatar for a constant time
4. Conduct Ultimatum Game 4 match
5. Evaluate Amount of Currency as a Self-
Condition A(Tall) Condition B(Small)
Install Plan -Floor Plan
PLAY AREA for
PLAY AREA for
… the Threshold
.... Vive Base Station
for Base Station
Install Plan -Logistics
● We carry…
○ 2 HTC Vives: Carry by our suitcase
○ “VR Ready” Laptop for safe (Ideally, we need a “VR Ready” desktop for best demo)
● Please provide…(Order by priority. Please don’t request too much…!)
○ 1 power source : Max 1200W - min 500W
○ 24inch flat panel display (for oprator)
○ 40inch+ flat panel display OR 1 Projector
(HDMI source, 1920x1080@60Hz strict) + 100 inch screen (for a signage)
○ 1 desk (approx. W 1500mm x L 700mm x H 700mm) and 2 chairs (for operators)
○ 1 local volunteer staff for explication.
. Slater M, Pérez Marcos D, Ehrsson H and Sanchez-Vives MV (2009). Inducing illusory ownership of a
virtual body.Front. Neurosci. 3,2:214- 220
. M. González-Franco, D. Pérez-Marcos, B. Spanlang and M. Slater, "The contribution of real-time
mirror reflections of motor actions on virtual body ownership in an immersive virtual environment," 2010
IEEE Virtual Reality Conference (VR), Waltham, MA, 2010, pp. 111-114.
. Yee, N., & Bailenson, J. N. (2007). The Proteus effect: Self transformations in virtualreality.Human