After completing this module you will able to :
• Define the customer service (CS).
• Explain the Importance of CS.
• Challenges in CS
• How to improve CS.
What is customer service?
CS is the service provided to
customers before, during and
after buying or using its
The assistance & guidance
provided by a company to
those people who buy or use
It is six to seven times more expensive to attract a new
customer than it is to retain an existing one.
Importance of CS
• It generates new customers. A great CS reputation is a powerful
differentiator in a competitive market where consumers have a lot of
product/service options (E.g. Dell).
• It generates return business. A happy customer is much more likely to
come back & buy.. In fact, 58% of consumers are willing to spend more on
companies that provide excellent CS (e.g. ICICI & HDFC).
• It generates referral business - 87% of customers will share a good
experience with others ( e.g. Shell Petrol ).
SL No Percentage Effect Reason
1 66% Switch to new co. Bad service
2 58% Newer use again Negative experience
3 60% Higher Expectation Not satisfied
4 63% Co. Spend more on CS
1 41b $ Loss by US Co. Poor CS
Challenges in CS
• Poor infrastructure (Slow internet, Printer issue, System slow).
• Less manpower.
• Untrained manpower.
• Out dated technologies ( Require advance software for quick response).
• Less investment (Support function).
• Lack of interest in regular improvements.
• Listen to your customers.
• Prompt responses & quick solutions.
• Remember your promises.
• Take all complaints as an opportunity
• Train your staff.
• Accept your mistakes.
• Go the extra mile to make your
Best CS is all about taking care of your
customers, making them feel
special, efficiently resolving their
grievances and keeping your promises.
Bring joy & positivity in your
interactions with customers. Remember
service with a smile never goes out of